I am bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted earlier stating what I thought was the most obvious thing in the world and I was raked over the coals and even received an angry message from one of the bosses of this site. I never fit it anywhere, I am always rejected for my unpopular opinions. If those of you who sent me angry responses wanted to make me feel bad, consider yourselves successful. I feel terrible and my depression and anxiety have become unbearable over the past few hours. Consider me adequately punished for my trangression.

Ignored

Staff Alumni
If it is true that you are considered a pariah due to your "unpopular opinions" did it ever occur to you to look again at them to work out why? In this instance, effectively calling people attentions seekers and stupid for attempting suicide whilst posting on a suicide support forum was hardly likely to make you popular, don't you think!? That's not to say you are not allowed your opinion... just that you might find better and more courteous ways of expressing it.

Esmeralda

I read your post about "the stupidity" of people who just gobble up pills expecting to die.

First off, I don't think you really meant "stupidity", but ignorance...2 totally different things.

Secondly, many people here are young and don't know any better.

Thirdly, the media portrays suicide as something that is relatively easy to accomplish by simply taking a bunch of aspirin or something like that. So it is understandable that people would see this as an effective method.

4th...many people who WANT to commit suicide want to leave a message behind, something that says they were here...perfectly natural.

5th...Sometimes this IS a cry for help, but instead of berating someone for it, maybe we should be compassionate and see that the person is in real emotional pain and try to help them through it. Sometimes fake suicide attempts are absolutely manipulative, but I would rather be sympathetic and kind toward someone who just wants attention and help than have one single person die because I did not take their emotions seriously.

Just my 2 cents.

Anonymous2

I read your post about "the stupidity" of people who just gobble up pills expecting to die.

First off, I don't think you really meant "stupidity", but ignorance...2 totally different things.

Secondly, many people here are young and don't know any better.

Thirdly, the media portrays suicide as something that is relatively easy to accomplish by simply taking a bunch of aspirin or something like that. So it is understandable that people would see this as an effective method.

4th...many people who WANT to commit suicide want to leave a message behind, something that says they were here...perfectly natural.

5th...Sometimes this IS a cry for help, but instead of berating someone for it, maybe we should be compassionate and see that the person is in real emotional pain and try to help them through it. Sometimes fake suicide attempts are absolutely manipulative, but I would rather be sympathetic and kind toward someone who just wants attention and help than have one single person die because I did not take their emotions seriously.

Just my 2 cents.
Great post, I agree.

Livingdeath,
Stupid is the critical word that made your post offensive. You said people who try to overdose on drugs are stupid. Many people here have tried to overdose on drugs. Combine these two ideas and you have effectively stated that many people here are stupid. People don’t like to be called stupid. I hope this logical explanation helps you to understand why people were upset and guides you in your decisions for future post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$165.00
Goal
$255.00