I need your thoughts on this, please

Ju

OK this is a bit weird so I'm going to tell you the story as I experienced it.

On Wednesday evening I opened my Facebook messenger app and sent a message to an author whose books I have been reading who lives in Australia. He messaged me back and we sat chatting for 2 hours. Some of the many things we spoke about were memories from my childhood (funny stoies), my many failed suicide attempts or at least the funny side of of they went wrong, his many different jobs before he took up writing etc. You know it was just a typical conversation with a friend. After our conversation we said goodbye and went off to do our own things. I sat and read for an hour before going to bed.
The next day I woke up and remembered this conversation and was confused because I had never spoken to him before so why were we chatting away like old friends??
I went onto messenger to check the conversation but there was no sign of it. It had never happened, I hadn't spent hours talking to him the night before, I had never contacted him ever.
I clearly remember the conversation we had though, pretty much every damn word of it. But how could I if it didn't happen??

I have no idea what happened here as I'm not prone to imagining things nor am I much of a dreamer whilst asleep. I have never experienced anything like this before and I have no idea how to explain it to myself.

I would like your opinions on what happened here and whether I need help of any sort and where to get said help if you think I need it.

All I know is I'm confused over it, it still seems very real but all the evidence shows that it wasn't

Angie

Safety & Support
SF Supporter
No idea what might have happened here. It sounds like a complicated dream (I have those sometimes).

But you weren't asleep?

Have you had any other strange things happen recently?

I get where this would be unnerving!

Ju

No idea what might have happened here. It sounds like a complicated dream (I have those sometimes).

But you weren't asleep?

Have you had any other strange things happen recently?

I get where this would be unnerving!

Nothing else has happened recently and the only other thing that has ever happened that has been unexplainable was over 20 years ago when my wedding ring disappeared from my finger and turned up 6 months later split and lying on my pillow. 2 days later I left my abusive husband for good.

I've had a bad life but its all been pretty simple before

seabird

meandering home
SF Supporter
things. I sat and read for an hour before going to bed.
Perhaps, whilst reading the book, your mind was also engaged in an inner conversation with the author. Then it began to seem it had happened over the course of slleping that night. Can you go back in memory and find what you were feeling when you went to sleep that evening?

For ex., did you fall asleep immediately after reading one of his books, I'm wondering.

The way I see this, if you feel shook up by this, and as though you need to talk to a doctor or therapist about what happened, then you should do so. But SF is for support and care, and hugs, and this might be something about which you should ask a professional.

the only other thing that has ever happened that has been unexplainable was over 20 years ago when my wedding ring disappeared from my finger and turned up 6 months later split and lying on my pillow. 2 days later I left my abusive husband for good.
I guess the simple explanation would be that your husband stole/found the ring, and then broke it and put it on your pillow.

This other business about the author might be harder to explain. I guess the conventional view would be that you just had some kind of slightly-less-than-ordinary brain hiccup. For example, as I start to wake up in the morning, I sometimes can't tell if something was real or a dream until I'm fully awake. You may have just had an extra large serving of the same sort of experience, it's just that the dream was so vivid and detailed you can't even now know it was a dream.

The unconventional view is that you had some kind of psychic connection with the author.

whether I need help of any sort
Having a one-off experience like this is nothing to worry about regardless of what explanation you want to give for it. Imho, you don't need any treatment for it.

If you have a burning desire to know what happened to you, it may be worth investigating. If you don't have a burning desire and have a tolerance for not knowing, you can just shrug and move on.

If you decide to go down the path of investigation, you can write down the details of the dream, and then see if you can verify some of the info independently. So for example, if the author told you that one of the jobs he had was as an arborist's assistant specializing in caring for Elm trees, and that he was once bitten by a spider, and it turns out that you can verify this but there was no way you somehow read about this and then forgot about it, that would tend to support the psychic connection theory. On the other hand if somewhere on the jacket of one of his books that you've read there's the exact same info, then there's an entirely conventional explanation.

Another entirely conventional explanation is that you actually did have this conversation with the author, it's just for some reason there's no record of this in your messages.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$130.00
Goal
$255.00