I have been on several different ones over the years. I agree the majority of them are not good, especially for young people. Its best to start with mild ones such as zoloft or exeffor (not sure I spelled that right). Stay clear of paxil. Some of the popular ones like paxil attempt to address multiple symtoms which may not be applicable to you. It is sorta like taking a multi cold pill for a cough. If you look up some of the pills in a pill book you will see some are for multiple symptoms and some are just for one or two. Keep the meds to a minimum as more is not always best.
Talk the meds out with your doctor and if you don't like the one you are on, then try another until you find what works for you. Also be certain an anti depressant is really what you need as often it is a mood stabilzer that is required if you are bipolar. Getting meds correct for any mental disorder is tough and often takes several months to find what is best for you. Good luck.