Jim's Cafe - June 28th

RCee

Thanks for the tag @Dante

phobias……. Closed in spaces …elevators…..
I have walked up 40 stories before … true facts I was still younger years and couldn’t even deal with elevator !

this was one of the tallest buildings in San Francisco .. my mom was in the jewelry business and one of her diamond suppliers was located in the building.

also fun fact. I used to live (dorms) in the building with oldest elevator system in San Francisco ….. the ones where you pull the door shut then slide the gate! Oi! The basement was laundry room and me and fellow dorm mate got stuck in there for 4 hours once because someone didn’t pull the door all the way closed . It was tricky!

if I can help it I never ride elevator.. all I think about is it plummeting or being trapped. I hate trapped feeling ! Anything that confined me even clothes.
yes I am one of those people that keep an auto release pin in my car (they are used for cracking windows in case you get trapped in car if accident happens)

cymbele

SF Supporter
Thanks for the cafe @Dante

1) Do you have any allergies Nope none that I am aware of; I am very lucky
Phobia Table
Following the theme of aversion, why not include phobias.
1) Do you have any Phobias? If so, which?
Heights is my phobia. I'm fine until I am 6 feet on a ladder, then mush
2) Have you made any attempts to overcome them?
Every now and then I hike near a drop off. In the NorthEast USA there are few steep dropoffs like the Grand Canyon type cliffs.

3) How much do your phobias get in the way of your life? Not much because I usually get others to climb ladders but it sux when trying a new thing like crossing an old railroad bridge where you can look down between the railroad ties and see far below. Or try going skiing off a mogul and looking straight down the side of a hill.
4) Any stories to share related to the phobias of yourself or people you know?

Insurance Table
As a bit of a random one (and because it is National Insurance Awareness Day in America)
1) Do YOU have insurance (This includes car insurance)? I do.
2) Have you ever made an insurance claim?On both house and car insurance
3) What would you LIKE to take out insurance on? (happiness, friendship, Reputation etc)Health but that is slipping away as I get older
4) What would you like the pay-out to be for insurance (if not money)?

Good thoughtful questions

4) In 1971, whiskey manufacturer Cutty Sark offered an award of one million pounds to anyone who could capture the Loch Ness Monster.
I read an article that claimed that the entire woolly mammoth genome is known, and that scientists might be able to reproduce one using an elephant as the mother. So even if Nessy is never found, maybe we'll have herds of woolly mammoths some day! :)

Allergies Table

1) yea. Pollen, dust, grass, pistachios, adhesive
2) pollen, dust, grass were an allergy test. Pistachios, I ate them and threw up. Adhesive, I was fine until once I got blood drawn and so they put a bandaid on and my arm was a balloon lol every time I touch it I get itchy
3) zyrtec, hydrocortisone, albuterol
4) wooden floors, dust often, avoid avoid avoid allergens

Phobia Table

1) I guess yea. Rain, and spiders.
2) currently working on rain. I just stay away from spiders tho haha
3) a lot. Panic attacks over even drizzling.
4) my bff is also terrified of spiders

Insurance Table

1) nope
2) nope
3) family
4) happiness

The Bar

1) hi
2) I start at my new gym in two weeks. We move in to our new house on the eighth.

seabird

meandering home
SF Supporter
Hi all. I hope everyone is doing okay, & finding some fun &/or peace.

Following the theme of aversion, why not include phobias.
3) How much do your phobias get in the way of your life?
1. yes, a fear of crowds, scorpions & blenders.

2. Yes. I can handle a limited time in some kinds of crowds now if necessary, like for occasional travel.

3. The crowds at theaters & events keep me from attending. I do not own a blender.
I walked out of an airport once - missed my flight - lost a lot of money & self-esteem because I simply couldn't handle the stress of the long lines & noise.

4. When my son was young he noticed that I was frightened by scorpions, & if one got in the house he'd kill it for me.
I thought that was awesome.

Thank you @Dante - I will be back for a drink later. A brandy please.
I enjoyed being here & listening to the music while writing & reading.

Last edited:

JMG

~ Peace and love to all ~
Hey sorry for no reply til now I know I'm almost a week late here, but thanks so much for the tag @Dante. Thanks to any others that either you or anyone else has given me in the last month too. :) Been busy with some other things, hope everyone is well.

I have answers for the first 2 tables but not the insurance one cos I don't have that and have no answers for those q's anyway. Here's my answers then.

Allergies table

1) Do you have any allergies?
No, glad to say I don't. :)

2) How did you find out you had it?
This and the next 2 don't apply to me, again glad to be able to say that. Sorry to all those who have them though, I can't even imagine how much they must suck to deal with.

3) Do you take medication?
4) Do you have any home secrets, ways of dealing with it?

Phobia Table

Yup, definitely. Kind of afraid of a lot of things but the most extreme ones are spiders, heights and deep water. The deep water one thankfully isn't as bad as it was when I was a kid, but it still freaks me out, mostly just to swim in. If I'm safe in a boat or whatever then I'm not as afraid of that at least.

Kind of, yes. I've been the most successful with the deep water one as I said above, as for heights I'm not sure. Basically zero success with the spiders one but I have tried hard to at least strengthen my ability to look at them and watch them move. Even looking at them generally terrifies me quite a bit so that is still progress for me.

3) How much do your phobias get in the way of your life?
Not much overall. In a way the worst of the 3 is the spiders one, as long as no one ever has to witness just how freaked out I get by them then I guess it will be fine.

Not really sorry.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00