Mental Health Awereness week!

Jayjay289

Jay Jay from the UK
Staff Alumni
So many of us are still affected by mental illness stigma and are scared to speak up or ask for help.

This week in the UK it is Mental Health Awareness Week and any awareness that may help people who have mental illnesses to feel that they can talk about it is a positive. For myself, every day is an opportunity to speak up about mental illness and I can do this because I have lived and managed mental health issues for the majority of my life and started to speak openly about it in 2008 when I was first diagnosed!

. I still do not 100% discuss what I manage and the stigma and discrimination that I have received over the years, however I can say that very little scares me about speaking up now and no attempts to keep me quiet will work.

I get many messages on Linked In, Facebook and Intstagram from people who either have a mental illness or care for or look after someone who has mental health issues and it saddens me each and every time that they feel genuine fear of being judged, ridiculed, losing people and even losing their job. I am in a unique position that in recent years I have lost almost everything due to having mental health and that holds so many fears for me either and so am free to speak up and especially about things that I had previously hidden and feared discussing?? yes I am because spealing about it not only helps me, but can engage many others and help many others to release that weight and burden upon their shoulders and hopefully if my messages and support can help just one person break free and stand up and speak out then I am doing my job just well. I know that this is mainly americans that use this site and yes its awarness week in the UK but lets raise awarness where ever you are in the world! lets keep this message going and keep the love flowing!! xx

Bloop

River Lea by Adele
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
You're doing a great job @Jayjay289. In my work I support people with mental health issues but outside of work I am afraid to talk about my own mental health for fear of being judged (as I have been before).

There are still ways to bring it up without necessarily talking about me. I can talk about my work or ask people how they are doing, and I have noticed people are more willing to talk about things that bring them down. Small things such as stress from work or problems at home. It's good people are sharing more about how they are feeling and what's bothering them. They make not specifically say they are depressed or anxious but by mentioning stress at work or problems at home it gives others close to them the opportunity to offer advice and support.

Maybe it is because I am an adult now so people I talk to are more open to speaking about these things but it could be the increase in understanding around mental health issues. There is lot of people struggling with these problems in UK at the moment so as more people are affected by it either directly or indirectly, it leads to more understanding. There is also increasing awareness and understanding of specific mental health conditions. It's all helping to make mental health less stigmatised. This is great to see.

Happy Mental Health Awareness week to my fellow UK peeps. Keep up the good fight.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00