My grandfather's dog was put to sleep an hour ago and it's affecting me in ways I didn't expect...

Edmund Dantes

First, a little backstory...My mother got this dog for my grandfather about 7 years ago as a puppy. I've lived with this dog for 5 of the 7 years we had her. I can't honestly say I LOVED this dog, in fact she pissed me off a lot of times, and he often seemed to care more about this dog than he cared about me. I didn't HATE the dog, I liked her, especially as she got older, stopped being destructive and was less of a pain in the ass to deal with...Still, when I heard she was being put to sleep...I dunno...I just feel empty all of a sudden...Why do I feel grief for an animal I didn't care all that much for? Maybe I loved her more than I thought I did? Is that possible? Maybe I feel sympathy pain? I'm confused and tired and depressed...

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
I'm sorry you have lost a friend - a furry friend. *hug* I think we grow to love the "personalities" we live with, even if we don't alway "appreciate" them all the time. So yes, I think you probably loved her more than you realized. Losing people/pets creates a change and leaves an empty spot for some time. Give yourself a while to process this loss and change.

(And if you're up to it, what kind of dog was she - what did she look like, what sorts of "destructive" puppy things did she do?)

Edmund Dantes

I'm sorry you have lost a friend - a furry friend. *hug* I think we grow to love the "personalities" we live with, even if we don't alway "appreciate" them all the time. So yes, I think you probably loved her more than you realized. Losing people/pets creates a change and leaves an empty spot for some time. Give yourself a while to process this loss and change.

(And if you're up to it, what kind of dog was she - what did she look like, what sorts of "destructive" puppy things did she do?)
I guess so. I guess it takes death for me to realize how much I care for something...I dunno. I don't understand my emotions or thoughts.

She was a chihuahua/poodle/terrier mix. Depending on the length of her fur she either looked like a giant chihuahua or a small terrier. When she was a puppy she chewed on everything, destroyed cables and discs of mine which pissed me off to no end. I hated her back then. But as she got older she quit chewing on everything and destroying things and I got to liking her more. I've never been a dog person so I never got the point of loving her but I guess I cared more than I thought.

Wow I'm rambling.

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
Ramble away. You have a great eye for detail. She sounds like she was a cute dog. I love the "giant chihuahua" image. lol I can imagine your frustration with chewed cables and discs. Very annoying at the time, I'm sure, but it gave you something to tell us about tonight. :)

Your thoughts and emotions - just a bit jumbled. Not uncommon in depression and at the loss of a pet. I hope you feel better soon. tc

Edmund Dantes

Ramble away. You have a great eye for detail. She sounds like she was a cute dog. I love the "giant chihuahua" image. lol I can imagine your frustration with chewed cables and discs. Very annoying at the time, I'm sure, but it gave you something to tell us about tonight. :)

Your thoughts and emotions - just a bit jumbled. Not uncommon in depression and at the loss of a pet. I hope you feel better soon. tc
Thank you.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00