Need some tech advice!

AvidFan

Retired Cat Staff
SF Supporter
I aborted with power button, fortunately got back in, now chrome works again, despite aborting the restore point.

FFS, this now makes absolutely no sense at all, it's like life is just doing its thing of trying to absolutely mind fuck me. I'll see if I can find my malwarebytes login to reinstall....

AvidFan

Retired Cat Staff
SF Supporter
Now I'm just totally lost. It's a joke,

Installed malwarebytes again. Then chrome wouldn't load again. So I turned off all malwarebytes real time scanning. Chrome opened. So I put malwarebytes protection back on. Chrome immediately closed and would not open again. Added chrome to Malwarebytes allow list. Still won't work.

So I can either have malwarebytes running and use another browser, or use chrome with no malware protection running.

What an absolute farce this is.

AvidFan

Retired Cat Staff
SF Supporter
It's decided it will get past initialising on the 2nd attempt.

Thanks anyone sticking with this, I'd go mad if I wasn't typing here during all this. This was supposed to be a relaxing day off 😳

AvidFan

Retired Cat Staff
SF Supporter
And finally we have the answer. According to malwarebytes support, the latest Windows update caused this conflict between Chrome and Malwarebytes.... If only I'd known that hours ago... There's a setting buried that's enabled me to turn off Chrome as an app covered by Malwarebytes so have turned that off for now following guidance from support.

What an absolute palaver. Glad I didn't reset or buy a new laptop, as I would have just run into exactly the same problem and think I'd have lost it at that point....

Would have been really helpful if restore had actually rolled back the updates, but after it restored it restarted and installed them again before I could even get in to turn them off, so restore would seem to be useless for rolling back updates.

Anyhow there's a thread about this on the malwarebytes forum - 1000s of people affected, some who can't turn off exploit protection for Chrome.

Jeez, what an absolute palaver, or did I say that already 😲

Last edited:
Wow. You got through it. Good for you! I'm not very techie myself yet have always done my own troubleshooting with Windows and Android because I don't have the $$$ to just hand over my laptop to my local computer store and have them fix the problem.

I've done similar things with restore points and so on. Honestly I miss having a Mac but the prices for a Mac mini literally doubled and that's when I made the switch.

AvidFan

Retired Cat Staff
SF Supporter
Wow. You got through it. Good for you! I'm not very techie myself yet have always done my own troubleshooting with Windows and Android because I don't have the $$$ to just hand over my laptop to my local computer store and have them fix the problem.

I've done similar things with restore points and so on. Honestly I miss having a Mac but the prices for a Mac mini literally doubled and that's when I made the switch.
Ha ha, true.

This crash even made the news! If I'd been more of an expert maybe I'd have been able to figure out the problem sooner but only discovered it by accident. Temperamental things these bleeping computers!!

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...-breaks-google-chrome-for-malwarebytes-users/

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
One thing I always keep beyond backups of anything important are USB flash drives with the installers for Windows 11. Download the W11 media creation and create a bootable USB drive that you can set BIOS to boot using the USB drive as first boot option and it will be just like a fresh install of Windows and will erase everything and install.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$130.00
Goal
$255.00