• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

New meds

Anon Mouse

Well-Known Member
#1
I been off medication for years. I been handling myself and It was working.
I got Sertraline 50mg and started yesterday.

I got sooo sick. Felt ill, back and forth to the toilet. Slept in and out yesterday but not at all last night and foggy brained.
I don't wanna take another one today. I don't wanna be that miserable again. Its only been one day.. I can't do this. I don't want to get better this way.
 

Sad Elf

Well-Known Member
#2
Hi,

I am just coming off Sertraline moving onto chlomimpromine. I seem to remember it took me a couple of weeks to settle into sertraline. I found it best to take just before bed, that might be worth a try ?

I hope u start to feel better soon
Elf
 
#4
Sorry that this happened.

Diarrhea, nausea, and insomnia are common side effects of sertraline. There are other antidepressants that you might find more tolerable.

There are some antidepressants that may tend to treat insomnia, diarrhea, and nausea, as well as treating depression. The problem is that they can also lead to increased eating/weight gain, increased sleep, and constipation. If you have a natural tendency toward diarrhea, insomnia and nausea, then a drug like that might be a good fit, as it might tend to balance things out.

I encourage you to talk to your doctor. Maybe you can get something new that you like better.
 

Anon Mouse

Well-Known Member
#5
I am trying suggestions to take it later on at night. That way I am not wasting my day awaay being miserable as I got a 4 year old son. Giving that a whirl andd if tonight sucks I will probably call doctor.
 

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
#6
Hi there, @Anon Mouse . Sorry to hear that you're struggling with your new med. GI symptoms such as nausea, vomting and diarrhoea can be quite a common side effect with Sertraline. Also, when initiating therapy with an antidepressant, it can be quite common for the individual to experience a dip in emotions at the onset. Commonly, this can last for around 2 weeks or so before these side effects tailor off as your body eventually gets used to the med. Additionally, 2-4 weeks is usually the figure banded about before these meds start to kick in and exert a noticeable beneficial effect.
I understand that it can be hard at the outset, and it's easier said than done when someone says "try to stick with it if you can." Taking Sertraline with food may help with the GI symptoms, the PIL does state that it can be taken with or after food. Word of caution though, avoid grapefruits/grapefruit juice with this med.

Goes without saying, any untoward effects, then do make a note of them and let your medical team know Hope these adverse effects do settle down sharpish for you though and that this med will prove to be helpful for you.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top