PLEASE URGENT HELP

Survivorist

Black sheep of my family....
Very short, normally I am living in ES. I am now for a year in Africa. I had dependency problems all my life and most of the time I solved them myself by simple reducing. So far it all went well. Now I reduced over the last weeks Diazepam from 30 mg a day to 0,625 mg a day (1,25 mg - a quarter 5 mg day- , then 0,0625 - a 1/8 -). Today was the last day with 1/8. So as I am the real end of the world no way to get anything and no help at all. Will it effect me hard now? What would you do? Anything to fear? Or will it just pass by with some flashes in the head and maybe a sleepless night (or two)?

AvidFan

Retired Cat Staff
SF Supporter
You've done the right thing in tapering/reducing. Did you get any problems reducing the doses? How many weeks did you reduce? Diazepam takes time to leave your system, your sleep will be affected and you may feel some rebound anxiety. I hope it goes OK for you. I've a thread somewhere on my own diazepam taper (off for few months now, with one slip.)

Very short, normally I am living in ES. I am now for a year in Africa. I had dependency problems all my life and most of the time I solved them myself by simple reducing. So far it all went well. Now I reduced over the last weeks Diazepam from 30 mg a day to 0,625 mg a day (1,25 mg - a quarter 5 mg day- , then 0,0625 - a 1/8 -). Today was the last day with 1/8. So as I am the real end of the world no way to get anything and no help at all. Will it effect me hard now? What would you do? Anything to fear? Or will it just pass by with some flashes in the head and maybe a sleepless night (or two)?
I hope everything goes okay for you..

Sorry that you're going through this.
Will it effect me hard now?
I'm not an expert, but the dose you were taking (1/8th of a pill) sounds so low that it probably wouldn't cause any serious negative effects, and if you intend to quit diazepam, this may be a good time to do it.

@Ash600 may want to comment.

So as I am the real end of the world no way to get anything and no help at all.
I believe you when you say that, but still, if you encounter any serious problems (unlikely), is there anyone that you can reach out to? Even in very remote places, you may be no more than a few days journey away from adequate medical care.

You may want to try the some of the methods in this link, especially the acupressure self-massage:

Self-Treatment and Miscellaneous

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
If the tapering down process went smoothly, then stopping after taking 0.625mg shouldn't really create much of an impact. Maybe the odd shortlived blip perhaps. Of course everyone's different so the response to tapering down can vary. Having said that though, during a staged withdrawal process for diazepam, it's common to drop down to a 1-2mg dose and then stop as that is usually sufficient for the body to cope with the removal of the benzos from the system.

Survivorist

Dear all, thanks for your replies. I just took the risk - I had no other choice. If possible, I would have returned. I guess, I will have to suffer another two days - sleep badly (if at all, depression). Unfortunately I have no backup, but its not the first time I am tapering medication down. I report in two or three days how it ended. I still have an emergency reserve of 0,625 mg I kept - you never know. For everybody in similar situations in countries where all this is very difficult: check if there is a Chinese hospital. Not here - but normally all over the world.

Survivorist

Hi everybody and thanks for the help....

So, just quickly to tell what happened. If you take Diazepam for an extended period and reduce it, the real withdrawal effect will be after 3 to 5 days after the last dose. I think reducing 1/8 all three days is a good way. I guess I had my real bad day yesterday - just vomiting, unable to eat or drink, just crying. But now it seems to be over. I feel a lot better. I have decided not to stay any longer here in Africa, but to go home. It is not good for me any longer. So as it damages me to be here - I leave in 10 days. I have my ticket and be home - alone, but o.k. One thing remaining now - as well to reduce - but this will take a little more time. I report, once back home. Things with the family however are sorted out and in the last four days I will be on the beach... Maybe I can enjoy it a little bit...

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$130.00
Goal
$255.00