Sorry if this makes no sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadhart

SF Supporter
I was a high school student when the Columbine shooting took place. I hated my school for a number of reasons, and being picked on and called names was probably the main one. When the shooting happened, it created this mentality of labeling quiet people as possibly doing something similar. I suppose I was a quiet person, but by no means had I ever thought of doing something so horrendous.

But it didn't matter. It was bad enough when you had your run of the mill asshole students who would use the shootings as an excuse to hurl some "jokes" about doing something, but it hurt like hell when people would look at me and seriously feel I would do such a terrible thing. I would see these people as being "normal" and in some twisted way that made the judgements justified.

But it still hurts. It hurt then and it still hurt today. I'm sorry if this made no sense, I just had this on my mind.

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Well it's not justified @sadhart, but after terrible events like Columbine, people are generally more fearful and suspicious. I'm sorry this happened to you, it wasn't fair -reminds me of the islamophobia towards innocent Muslims following terrorist attacks.

sadhart

SF Supporter
Well it's not justified @sadhart, but after terrible events like Columbine, people are generally more fearful and suspicious. I'm sorry this happened to you, it wasn't fair -reminds me of the islamophobia towards innocent Muslims following terrorist attacks.
What pisses me off is that people don't stop and consider the damage they may cause judging someone. A few years ago, someone at work said I looked like I would shoot up the place. He claimed it was a joke and later apologized, but I resented him for it. This ignorant notion that only quiet people do these type of things is so ignorant and it sickens me. Sorry for continuing to rant about this, but thank you for understanding.

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
What pisses me off is that people don't stop and consider the damage they may cause judging someone. A few years ago, someone at work said I looked like I would shoot up the place. He claimed it was a joke and later apologized, but I resented him for it. This ignorant notion that only quiet people do these type of things is so ignorant and it sickens me. Sorry for continuing to rant about this, but thank you for understanding.
Like walker said, there will always be people who judge others unjustly, and its often due to fear or just plain ignorance and lack of awareness of the effect on those being judged. It's hurtful and anger provoking because they really don't know you at all.

We could all be more aware of how our preconceived ideas affect others, and more willing to get to know people as they really are. Don't take the faults of these people too seriously and most of all, don't let this bad experience stop you from getting to know others out of fear they will think of you like that as well because withdrawing into yourself to avoid being hurt again will cut you off from people who could otherwise become good friends.

Last edited:

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
Sadhart, anyone who's thought processes run along the lines of, "Hmmm...This person is very quiet...OMG, I wonder if he's going to shoot me???" is obviously a moron and deserving of nothing but pity and compassion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00