Tea?

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
Tea? A note to follow sol. Hasn’t anyone here seen The Sound of Music?

I live in Canada, the land that seems to feel half British, half North American. However, in my era, tea was not a meal here.

Growing up, we had breakfast, lunch, and dinner (or supper). And sometimes, people would have “dinner” as the heartier meal served at midday. If someone talked about supper, I always assumed it was their evening meal. When dinner is the evening meal, it also implies to me, a somewhat more “formal and fancier” meal. Don’t know why.

I always thought “tea” was an in-between meal — after lunch, before dinner. So I thought there were four meals in the UK. However, the older I got and the more widely I read, I learned that “tea” can be a meal in itself — the one I’d call “supper,” eaten around 5 to 6 or-ish p.m.

Ahhh…language, context, culture…

Tea as a pleasant, perhaps lighter, late afternoon or early evening meal sounds lovely! Or as an in-between — hard to say no to good food and a hot drink!

Is there anyone out there who could explain “tea” vs “high tea” to me? I’ve never quite found info to define the difference. :)

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00