Tech Advice 2

AvidFan

Retired Cat Staff
SF Supporter
Don't know if anyone can help, I'm completely lost, am having nothing but computer problems all day every day.

Todays issue is - one of my webmail accounts logins is fine on Edge with the saved password. But with the saved password on Firefox or Chrome it won't login.

I look at the password saved in google passwords and the browser - they match. I copy the password and try to login to the same site using the same username, with the same password. Doesn't work - invalid password except in Edge.

It's the same password, the same site, same username, but in one browser the saved login will log in, if I type the password I've looked at and double checked, it will not login. But it will login with the saved password on that browser only even though the password saved in that browser is identical. Don't know if that makes sense. The saved password works, but typing in the same password as stored won't work. Somehow the saved password on Edge works, even though it is supposedly the same as the typed password.

It's absolutely baffling. Oh yes just to add if I go to chrome on my phone, the saved password works there, it's just happening on my laptop currently. So the saved password on chrome on laptop won't login - on my phone it will. After all the issues yesterday I'm worried there's something wrong somewhere....

For now I've uninstalled chrome and will just use Edge as it's the only browser where things are working normally. Maybe it's a Microsoft plot to hobble other browsers 🤷

Last edited:

AvidFan

Retired Cat Staff
SF Supporter
To clarify - if I use saved password in Edge, it works and logs in fine. If I replace saved password in Edge with the typed password Edge has listed as my saved password, it won't work. Double checked caps lock is off and all keys are working by typing the password into notepad etc.

AvidFan

Retired Cat Staff
SF Supporter
Even weirder now.

I changed the password and let Google update the password. Let's say I changed it to "password2" (no it was a strong one).

When I log in with the remembered password ("password 2"), it logs in. When I type in "password2" it logs in. Great. Now my idea of the password and the Google remembered password match.

But when I go to passwords.google.com the password is revealed as "nothing-like-the-password-I-am-typing in"
If I go to Edge remembered passwords it lists the old password not the changed/new one (and is different from the Google one)

I'm absolutely stumped.

If it's any use I'm logging in to webmail on a cpanel server. I just have no idea why the password that works does not bear any resemblance to the password that Google has listed when I reveal the password. If it's not got the right password remembered how is it logging in with it?

I just went to Firefox and logged in using "password2" and it logged me in and prompted me to update the password so I did. Then I went to Firefox saved logins and for the same site it lists "what-the-password-was-before-I-just-changed-it". Makes no sense.

It's not causing me any major problems but after the Google critical alert yesterday and then McAfee stopping working, I'm suspicious of these things suddenly happening (Malwarebytes, House Call and the re-installed McAfee all showing no trace of any threats or issues)

Last edited:

AvidFan

Retired Cat Staff
SF Supporter
FFS now I'm using Edge I've been exposed to shit news story after shit news story. I don't want to hear any of it. Took me 25 minutes to figure out how to turn it off, was on the verge of reinstalling chrome. Fuck fuck fuck this shit.

AvidFan

Retired Cat Staff
SF Supporter
Fuck me, I went on my phone and the webmail wouldn't work in chrome - password invalid. So I put the new one in, and it asked to update it again. Finally the fucking passwords in password manager and Edge match on Windows.

Only thing I can think of is passwords on Chrome android app take priority, at least I know what to do next time instead of fucking around for 5 hours straight,

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$130.00
Goal
$255.00