• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

therapist

TSS

Well-Known Member
#1
My therapist doubled down on his assertion that " I am good at depression" which is meant in a negative sense. He continued by comparing it to diabetes with someone that keeps eating poorly with that disease. What should I make of all this? and why would he say it to someone with Bpd?
 

SamB

SF Supporter
#2
It doesn’t sound particularly constructive the way you have described it, however, you would hope and expect that the therapist has said this to try to help you. So I think to start with you should give him the benefit of the doubt and ask him to explain further what he means by this. A non confrontational way might be to say something like ‘last time you said that I am good at depression, can we explore this more today so I can get a better understanding of what you mean and how this effects me’.
 

SamB

SF Supporter
#4
Well I suppose the question is now, what are the things that he thinks you are doing that are making/keeping you depressed?
Maybe he does have some genuine insights that he can offer or maybe he is just barking up the wrong tree but it could be helpful to dig more into that even if it is difficult for you.
 
#5
My therapist doubled down on his assertion that " I am good at depression" which is meant in a negative sense. He continued by comparing it to diabetes with someone that keeps eating poorly with that disease. What should I make of all this? and why would he say it to someone with Bpd?
Why don't you ask him?
 

Lady Wolfshead

wishes you well
#8
It seems to me that the therapist's observation is not helping you, and that then he should knock it off. If he wants to point out particular things you are doing that he feels are contributing to your depression, then that's reasonable, but also is the assumption these things are under your control?
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top