• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Upset right now.

Rich1952

SF Supporter
#1
OK I keep hearing about the young man who tried to assassinate Trump the other day. What I see on the news really troubles me, because he is described as a guy who was a loner in school, bullied a lot, had few if any friends. And most assassins and would-be murderers are described the same way. They are described as people who have a mental health issue.

So it bothers me a lot because I was like that myself in school! I was picked on, bullied, had very few friends, and was a loner. I never had a date in school, didn't go to a dance. I was a little guy and so was teased a lot, bullied from elementery school through college. I fall right into this category, and it seems with the bad people like this, they require mental health.

I can't help feeling sorry for myself, even though I am 71 years old. I never got help; mostly if I did anything wrong, I was punished for it. If I was bullied, I could do nothing about it, as what could I do except get beat up? Would I have to do something really terrible in order to be noticed?

I have no point to this, except I get so bugged about the pundits on TV talking about the real troublemakers like this guy, and labeling them as the same kind of guy I was. ANd they do it all the time. It's upsetting to me, is all.
 
#3
@Rich1952 hello. Nice to meet you. I think it’s helpful to offload the thoughts that confound us. I am glad you posted & I hope it helped.
as I read this my first thought was how the bullied boy needs comfort & a big hug. To the adult, I want to find words of comfort. You are ok. I am sorry you feel upset.

being bullied changes a person. You have commonalities with that young man. You are NOT him. You are Rich. You are ok.
There are times when tv becomes overwhelming to me. It’s ok to change the channel or shut off the tv.

I hope you can feel better.
 

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
#5
I can only say, thank God, that every person who was left out of things, bullied, picked on, and did not date, did not go out and start shooting at people. Otherwise there would be a lot more among the dead. Most people who had similar experiences turned out quite well.
No, there is something else about this young man that sent him over the edge.
 

Windhover

meandering home
SF Supporter
#6
I too felt very strongly for the mental health aspect of the young man. I can't help but wonder if he knew the results of his actions would be his own death. You're right in saying they - the media - immediately assail an entire category of people. Doing this whether in spoken words or text is wrong, ludicrous, and perpetuates all kinds of social evils.

You are among friends here @Rich1952
 

Survivorist

Black sheep of my family....
#8
You seem very, very strong to me. Being like this and having survived 71 years - man, this is what I call strength. Let the past be the past - and try to find some peace. You have not shot anybody, you have not done anything bad. You suffered, but you made it through life. I would give you a medal.
 

Pebble mouse

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
SF Pro
SF Supporter
#11
@Rich1952. I feel much the same way. I have had mental health issues for most of my life and the way it is portrayed in the media and the perception of MH in society at large, especially after an event like this is very upsetting. I'm a loner too. I was bullied too. Does that mean I'm dangerous? No, FFS.

I hope things will change one day, but I cannot see that happening myself.
 

LumberJack

Huggy Bear 🐻 u r warned!
SF Supporter
#12
OK I keep hearing about the young man who tried to assassinate Trump the other day. What I see on the news really troubles me, because he is described as a guy who was a loner in school, bullied a lot, had few if any friends. And most assassins and would-be murderers are described the same way. They are described as people who have a mental health issue.

So it bothers me a lot because I was like that myself in school! I was picked on, bullied, had very few friends, and was a loner. I never had a date in school, didn't go to a dance. I was a little guy and so was teased a lot, bullied from elementery school through college. I fall right into this category, and it seems with the bad people like this, they require mental health.

I can't help feeling sorry for myself, even though I am 71 years old. I never got help; mostly if I did anything wrong, I was punished for it. If I was bullied, I could do nothing about it, as what could I do except get beat up? Would I have to do something really terrible in order to be noticed?

I have no point to this, except I get so bugged about the pundits on TV talking about the real troublemakers like this guy, and labeling them as the same kind of guy I was. ANd they do it all the time. It's upsetting to me, is all.
Oh god, me too. I’m a quiet person naturally, and I lack social skills so I’m sort of a loner. When I’m in a new situation, such as a new job or similar, someone usually tags me as the next mass shooter. I have heard several times about how “it’s always the quiet ones who snap”.

Problem with that is it doesn’t account for all the quiet ones who are peaceful and are fine with being invisible. So even if it is the case that shooters fit a certain profile, that doesn’t mean anyone who fits that profile is also destined to act destructively!!!

I mean, for example, we could probably also say that all mass shooters have eaten pickles. So now pickles cause mass shooters? Or is it just that damn near everyone eats pickles so it’s a meaningless correlation. Just my thoughts.
 

LumberJack

Huggy Bear 🐻 u r warned!
SF Supporter
#13
FWIW, I characterize my lack of social skills as being uninterested in typical topics of conversation, and more interested in things like science and philosophy. Most people want to talk about sports and celebrities. I would rather talk about ideas. I think I can get “high” on information. Wikipedia is a dangerous site for me because it’s so hard to leave. People Magazine, OTOH, I would rather use to line a bird cage.
 

alice202

SF Supporter
#14
Rich - I'm so sorry this happened to you. And I'm sorry its still painful.

As soon as I heard this young man was bullied, I thought that really tells the story. The fact that his parents were both counselors and didn't see the signs that he was in distress is striking. I guess we can never know what someone else is going through, but I wonder what would have happened differently if somebody had reached out to him in the months before the shooting.

Alice
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top