I have a friend who has been prescribed verapamil. Verapamil can be prescribed for high blood pressure, and also migraines. I've read that it has a reported but off-label effect of controlling mania.
My friend has symptoms of a mood disorder, such as periods of high energy, elevated mood, talking quickly, and not sleeping, followed by periods of low energy, depression, and hypersomnia. She has never been formally diagnosed as having bipolar, or anything similar.
Recently, she had a period of about 4 days of mania, with no sleep. Now she seems to be starting a depressive phase.
One of the interesting things that I've read about verapamil is that if it is combined with magnesium oxide, it's anti-mani properties are enhanced. Hopefully, my friend will be able to get a proper diagnosis and treatment soon, but until then, I wonder if she can take verapamil along with an over-the-counter magnesium oxide antacid medication.
I've advised her to ask her doctor or pharmacist if it's ok for her to take a magnesium oxide antacid, but I wonder if people here have any opinions on whether she should do this, and if so, when she should do this (e.g., during manic phase only) and in what dosage.
My friend has symptoms of a mood disorder, such as periods of high energy, elevated mood, talking quickly, and not sleeping, followed by periods of low energy, depression, and hypersomnia. She has never been formally diagnosed as having bipolar, or anything similar.
Recently, she had a period of about 4 days of mania, with no sleep. Now she seems to be starting a depressive phase.
One of the interesting things that I've read about verapamil is that if it is combined with magnesium oxide, it's anti-mani properties are enhanced. Hopefully, my friend will be able to get a proper diagnosis and treatment soon, but until then, I wonder if she can take verapamil along with an over-the-counter magnesium oxide antacid medication.
I've advised her to ask her doctor or pharmacist if it's ok for her to take a magnesium oxide antacid, but I wonder if people here have any opinions on whether she should do this, and if so, when she should do this (e.g., during manic phase only) and in what dosage.