• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

What is sertraline like as a medication

teeboy68

Well-Known Member
#1
Hi everyone, I just wondered if anyone had any experience of taking sertraline? I'm currently taking 30mg Citalopram, which I've been on for a long time, and I don't feel like it's working anymore. The doctor wanted to swap me to sertraline, but I wasn't sure because I was worried about side effects, so I haven't changed yet, but I'm been feeling pretty bad over the last couple of months, much worse than I usually do, and I just wondered if this might help a bit.
So if anyone's had any experience of it I'd love to hear what it was like for you. I know you can't take more than 40mg Citalopram, not sure why, but I know you can take higher does of sertraline, so perhaps it might help?

Regards
teejay68
 

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
#2
Hi there @teeboy68
It's not unusual for the body to get used to taking the same drug over a prolonged period of time. See it as it's way of saying that it's bored with the same old med. Of course there could a multitude of other reasons as to why a med is no longer producing the desired response. So switching to an alternative is quite a common theme. This can be either within the same class of drug, as is in your case, or to a diffrent category all together.

I can understand your concerns over this which are perfectly reasonable. There are established protocals for switching between meds so as to enable as seamless a transfer as possible. Of course there may be a few dips experienced along the way, so should you do decide to switch over naturally it will be important for you to maintain a dialogue with your GP and pharmacist, reporting anything untoward.

Thing is though, as citalopram is no longer doing it's job, and hasn't been for the last 2 months, then perhaps now is the time to try and find one that will.

Best of luck, hope you'll find something that will help.
 

teeboy68

Well-Known Member
#3
Thanks for that Ash, I think I might give it a try, I just don't want horrendous side effects and because I've not taken this before I wasn't sure of the side effects, because I've seen someone else on here posting that it made them feel numb. The citalopram never made me feel numb, although before that I used to take amitriptyline and that made me feel like a zombie.
 

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
#4
Thanks for that Ash, I think I might give it a try, I just don't want horrendous side effects and because I've not taken this before I wasn't sure of the side effects, because I've seen someone else on here posting that it made them feel numb. The citalopram never made me feel numb, although before that I used to take amitriptyline and that made me feel like a zombie.

Key thing to remember, is that different people can react to different drugs in different ways. For some it may be minimal for others, they so much as get a sniff of the drug and they'll be hit with a whole series of side effects. That's intra-patient variability I guess. Main thing is to try to keep as open mind as possible and like I said earlier, report anything that makes you feel uncomfortable as soon as you can.
 
#5
Hi everyone, I just wondered if anyone had any experience of taking sertraline? I'm currently taking 30mg Citalopram, which I've been on for a long time, and I don't feel like it's working anymore. The doctor wanted to swap me to sertraline, but I wasn't sure because I was worried about side effects, so I haven't changed yet, but I'm been feeling pretty bad over the last couple of months, much worse than I usually do, and I just wondered if this might help a bit.
So if anyone's had any experience of it I'd love to hear what it was like for you. I know you can't take more than 40mg Citalopram, not sure why, but I know you can take higher does of sertraline, so perhaps it might help?

Regards
teejay68

Hi, I don't know whether you changed over to sertraline, I was on that for 7 years before I changed to duloxatine, it worked well for me for about 5 of these years before my body became used to it and it stopped working. It's worth trying something else to see if that can help, but I found them okay at first. I hope you have adjusted well if you have changed.
 

MAC0

Y.N.W.A
SF Supporter
#6
I have just been given Sertraline got to be honest i have been worried about taking it the massive page of instructions did not help just took my first Doc said i would feel nauseous and drowsy but its kind of given me a pain in my stomach sort of like a massive gas build up also if i move my head i feel like i am floating on the ocean

anyone know if these effects are going to be there everyday or will my body get used to them and be more settled later in my course of 2 months
 

MAC0

Y.N.W.A
SF Supporter
#9
Can confirm fir me had a few hours where i felt lightheaded as i said also had a strange effect where i swear i could smell and taste smoking and i have not smoked for 20 plus years

anyway after a quick nap i feel ok
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top