• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

worried about getting help....

B

Blackness

#1
So I've felt depressed and have hurt myself and have seriously thought about suicide alot for years now. I have never been about to talk to anyone professional about it.

Now I am at uni, they have a free counsellor there. I wrote them an email and they said all I had to do was ring up and make an appoinment.

This is what I've been looking for, for so long.

The thing is I'm so scared to make an appointment. I hate talking to people I don't know. But I know they could help. I can't tell them about my suicidal thoughts? they would freak out and tell my parents...

Argh has anyone had any experiences with counsellors (im sure you have)?
I need help but am too scared to call :sad:
 

Allo..

Well-Known Member
#2
Heya.. yeah i saw a counsellor a couple of times, my mum called though..
You should really go and see them, they can help so much..

Goodluck *hugs*
 
#4
I have a counsellor at the moment.

But i am one of those people, that is very shy and can only open up to people i am not face to face with.

I can understand how you are scared, so if you ever need to talk, pm me.

Hope you resolve this problem.


Hugzzzzzzzz

kylie-angel
 

RainbowChaser

Well-Known Member
#5
Is it all weird and awkward at first?
The first session might be (especially if it's your first with any counsellor ever), but that'll be more through you not knowing what to say or what to talk about first. If it helps, make a list of the things you want to talk about before you go so that if you go blank when you get there you've got something to remind you.

Hope it goes well :hug:
 

TLA

Antiquitie's Friend
#7
After youtake a deep breath, make the appt. GO FOR IT!

On the day of the actual appt. as you meet the individual, you will talk of basic issues until you feel comfy with them. YOU decide how it goes.


(Ex: I went to new GP doc this week. I did not like his hurry up manner. I plan to ask for someone else.)
 

Ignored

Staff Alumni
#8
One of the first things they will tell you is about confidentiality: namely, that it is utterly confidential except in the case that you may be about to harm yourself or someone else, and even then they will tell you that they are going to do something. They should not tell your parents anything without your permission as, given you are at university, you must be an adult. So don't let that put you off telling them what you need to tell them! They are primarily there for you.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top