1 step forward 10 back! So fed up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atompilz

I just got 3 letters today, 2 from the company I pay social charges for being self emplyed, saying I was late with my last payment which I wasn't and another from them saying that due to the lateness they are rupturing our agreement. Basically I pay every 3 months, about 400 Euros but at the end of last year I got an extra bill for 2000 Euros due to their error of miscalculating the last 3 years, so I have to pay it, they agreed I can pay 60 per month which I have been doing and still am but say that due to last normal payment being late, even though they have cashed the cheque, this breaks the agreement so are demanding 1,800 Euros!! The third letter is from a bailif they have passed it onto which says if I don't pay all of it in 24 hours they will break into my apartment and take value of my stuff to then collect and sell :( There is no way I can pay it all in one go and it is just my word against theirs, the French often don't understand reason.

It doesn't make any sense, I am going to see them tomorrow morning but the bailif letter is dated 29th May so is already over 24 hours so I am worried they will come while I am out trying to sort it all. The main reason I am so upset is I am really worried they may let one of my 3 cats out as they come to the door to greet people. The one is a bit old and crazy and doesn't think before she does things so she could fall 4 floors down the stairwell. It may seem silly to worry but they are all I have and all that stops me from killing myself, they are the only reason I am here and my only company every day.

For nearly 3 months I have ben trying to get over a knee operation, was stuck at home for 2 months and don't get paid as self employed so am into my overdraft and then got an infection caused by the surgery which isn't getting better and hurts so much to work and walk. I have put on so much weight as I haven't been able to do anything and have been really miserable. Just when I am back to work and my main season is starting I get these letters.

I feel like I don't know why I bother, it is such an uphill struggle and I keep sliding back down feeling weaker each time. My actual work is great and I love it but this situation is stupid and I know that even if I can sort it tomorrow I will still be charged about 220 Euros for the bailif fee. What is the point?!

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
No one can legally break into your apartment if they said this on a msg or letter keep it and show it to authorities as this is a threat and they are the ones that can be charged hugs

FrainBart

Staff Alumni
Keep all letters, with bailiffs they have to provide you with a case number, 2 weeks notice of intent to enter your property. They can only legally enter your property if there is an open access point, and do not damage the property during entry. (any windows or doors need to be firmly locked) If you are also concerned, contact the issuing court of the bailiffs, (if it is done by a private company it is illegal). If you are further concerened contact authorities, and inform them of the situation.
(it sounds like they are trying to con you, and intimidate you into paying, dont give in. They are meant to make reasonable attempt before handling a debt over to bailiffs.)

Also do you have proof of when you made the payment, or whenthe cheque was cleared? if so, that will be useful, as if they have intentionally waited until after the payment date, then you could potentially take them to court.

Wow... Reminds me why I stay in America. Not only could they not do that here, at all, but in Texas if they entered we could brandish firearm and stop them in their tracks. That said, I would check into this better and be sure that they can actually do that to you. I have never heard of such a thing except possibly in some third world countries.

Sadeyes

Staff Alumni
This sounds like nothing we would ever experience here...break into your apartment, take your stuff...I also feel fortunate I live here...have you contacted an attorney? Sounds like you need both advise and representation.

Atompilz

Thank you everyone. I am seeing someone first thing tomorrow. Apparently here they can legally do it, they actually have to have the police with them and they just let themselves in, have no idea how. A friend of mine had a problem with his ex and a car they were meant to be paying off together but the car was in his name and she, the ex, stopped payments so he got in trouble. He received a letter like mine and after, I am not sure how many days or weeks later, we arrived at his locked apartment to find a letter on his table saying they had come in with a policeman and taken stock value of all his stuff and the next step would be to take it to sell against the loan. There was no other way of getting into the apartment other than the front door, there was no damage and it was locked, so they must have keys that can open any locks. Sounds crazy! I was stunned! This friend is coming with me tomorrow. It all seems so silly, especially when they have cashed the cheque so have the money that we agreed on. It is all just too much, had the worst 2 years of my life with heart getting broken, my girl cat dying then my best friend dying, with all the other stuff like my knee, not feeling happy in general anyway and even more down since putting on weight. I can't even start exercising yet as my knee is still so bad. It is so hot here at the moment and I have to cover up as my arms are so fat :(

It is like the last straw, I was really down everyday anyway trying to cope with losses and loneliness and getting old and now this :(

sounds like u r in a situation of recovery which u should get through, and then u can go back to doing what u love and be happy and healthy. although everything seems desperate now, it really does sound like you r in a good position to recover from this. grab all the professional help u can and bounce back. hard to find good homes for ur gorgeous kittys these days... they r ur family right now. today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$110.00
Goal
$255.00