• IMPORTANT: Covid-19 can only be discussed on this site in terms of SUPPORT. There is a covid-19 support forum and a covid-19 support chat for people needing support around this topic. There is a thread in Forum News and Announcements explaining this further. Please read it.

8 Year Anniversary of My Father's Passing

I almost feel stupid for still feeling so hung up about it, since it's been so long, and it feels like every year I always take a nosedive around the anniversary. It's coming up (August 14), and I'm already feeling even more anxious and depressed than usual. It doesn't help that my birthday is a week after that on the 23, and I feel like I haven't really been able to properly celebrate since his passing. I'm stuck between wanting to take my birthday back and finally be happy about it again, and just not wanting to celebrate anymore.

key726

I think all your feelings are completely normal. I know it’s the cliche thing to say at this point, but maybe it will help to celebrate the life he had and reminisce about him around his anniversary, and on your birthday remember you’re celebrating the life he gave you. To remember the man he was rather than his passing. It will be hard either way, and I don’t think anyone can truly recover from the loss of a parent, we can only do our best to carry on for yourself and their memory. *console

It's understandable that you feel this way. You've mentioned that you were particularly close to your dad. You also lost him at a young age.

Anyone in the same situation would have a hard time dealing with this.

Do you think that talking to family members and other people who were close to him would help?

Sydney

Don’t ever feel stupid for the way or pace in which you cope with this. Next year is year four without my dad, and it never gets easier. It gets harder, but you also learn more and you get stronger. Always grieve as much as you need to.. that stuff needs to move. I have a lot of helpful or at least comforting quotes that aren’t what you’d expect. I promise I know where you’re at, I just turned 27, and age makes no difference. It’s pain like nothing else no matter what, but at least you aren’t alone. Please feel free to reach out and connect with me—I miss my dad 24/7 too.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$255.00
Goal
$255.00