• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Practical Advice A dilemma

So so tired

Hi.
I am alittle confused or perhaps suborn is a better word to use to describe my attitude to the problems that I seen to encounter getting my medication.
Maybe I just need to vent because I know what people may say but I just wanted a different perspective.
I was put on lithium whilst I was in hospital for 2 months on the psych ward. Since leaving hospital, my doctors will only give me 7 days meds which I guess is because they <mod edit - guidelines> and they have a duty of care.
I have had problems with them before even getting them to prescribe things authorised by my psychiatrist!
They are a good practice in all other ways but
my patience has now run out because despite ordering the meds in ample time, I was told it was not ready and they needed more than 48 hours notice!
I know this sounds like I am having a childish tantrum but I was pretty much forced to take them under a section whilst in hospital and now I can not even get them.
By the time I have taken a few days meds, it's time to order them again.
So I have not had the lithium now.
When I was hospitalised, I was found by the police and it was a serious event.
I do still feel suicidal on lithium, maybe not to the extreme but the reason I feel suicidal is because I need my son and no meds will cover the pain of our separation.
I have been trying to distract myself with anything and everything but when resting thoughts are problematic.
I do have a support network which consists of a couple of close friends (one is a nurse). Part of me thinks I should te them but know they will get annoyed if I don't chase it up.
I'm just so fed up with this situation and feel like I do not have the time or energy to waste on such drama.
Please feel free to tell me to "get a grip" if that's what you think. I kind of think that too but I have just been pushed over the limit
Love so so tired *hug1

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick

☆☆Still Ducking Fantastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I feel like I wouldn't do well having to get meds every 7 days either. That's not something I've had to deal with here in the states, most of my meds I get every 90 days. I have one I have to fill every 30 days, and I am annoyed by that. I don't think you're being unreasonable being bothered that you have to deal with this every week. It's a pain to be constantly chasing up meds.

The best I can suggest for you is to set a scheduled that you do it with, so at least it's not disrupting. Pick them up on Monday and order up the new ones on Wednesday's for instance. Set a reminder on your phone (that's what I would do because even things that are regular and routine I can't remember). At least then it is less disruptive and you don't end up having to go without.

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
i think they have you on every 7 days, some places make at risk patients pick them up daily. that is here in the u.s. and probably any country.

they must trust you somewhat to allow 7 day prescriptions. 1st thing i would do is follow @Nick s suggestion to get your meds on time. 2nd talk to your psychiatrist and explain this is hard on you and see if he can change it to 30 days. i'm sure they'll change it as soon as they feel that you are safe. try to hold on and go through the process and you'll do fine...mike...*hug*shake

Sunspots

Pffffeckn amazin
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I was on 7 day meds for a long time and you're right, it really is a pain in the ass. At one point I was on daily meds and had to go to my doctor's surgery every day and they would watch me take them - it was really humiliating. Like your surgery, mine also needed 48 hours notice when ordering another set of prescriptions. I did exactly what @Nick suggested, set a reminder on my phone at the same time every week to order the next lot. It could be worth talking to your pharmacist or doctor as they might be able to set up an automatic request. One of my old pharmacists would order the next lot for me when I collected the current ones which was really great.

It took my doctor around 8 months to let me go to monthly and even then I think it was only because there always seemed to be problems getting one of my meds in.

How long have you been on weekly meds for? I'm sure if you continue to be honest and open with them it will help them to begin to trust you more with them.

I totally understand what it’s like to be on a 7 day prescription. I had it with my last medication. I found it to be sooooo stressful. It didn’t matter how early I requested the prescription or if I had a routine (I would request it every Monday) it still took the dr time to sign it off and then ages for it to arrive. The stress at times was unreal. So I think you are completely valid and need to have a conversation with your dr to find a solution. They are trying to protect you but actually making things worse. I got switched to a different medication in the end as they were too nervous with me on that one and it wasn’t working anyway. I’m sorry you are experiencing this and I hope you manage to get it resolved quickly. Take care.

Last edited by a moderator:

So so tired

I was on 7 day meds for a long time and you're right, it really is a pain in the ass. At one point I was on daily meds and had to go to my doctor's surgery every day and they would watch me take them - it was really humiliating. Like your surgery, mine also needed 48 hours notice when ordering another set of prescriptions. I did exactly what @Nick suggested, set a reminder on my phone at the same time every week to order the next lot. It could be worth talking to your pharmacist or doctor as they might be able to set up an automatic request. One of my old pharmacists would order the next lot for me when I collected the current ones which was really great.

It took my doctor around 8 months to let me go to monthly and even then I think it was only because there always seemed to be problems getting one of my meds in.

How long have you been on weekly meds for? I'm sure if you continue to be honest and open with them it will help them to begin to trust you more with them.
Hi
I have been on weekly meds since being discharged from hospital, which is about a month. I see my psychiatrist next Wednesday and I don't think he will be best pleased. He told me that if I did not work with him and treatment, he would put me on a section 3!
Wow doctors watching you take tablets, that happens on a psych ward here. X

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
Hi
I have been on weekly meds since being discharged from hospital, which is about a month. I see my psychiatrist next Wednesday and I don't think he will be best pleased. He told me that if I did not work with him and treatment, he would put me on a section 3!
Wow doctors watching you take tablets, that happens on a psych ward here. X
*hug*shake

So so tired

I totally understand what it’s like to be on a 7 day prescription. I had it with my last medication. I found it to be sooooo stressful. It didn’t matter how early I requested the prescription or if I had a routine (I would request it every Monday) it still took the dr time to sign it off and then ages for it to arrive. The stress at times was unreal. So I think you are completely valid and need to have a conversation with your dr to find a solution. They are trying to protect you but actually making things worse. I got switched to a different medication in the end as they were too nervous with me on that one and it wasn’t working anyway. I’m sorry you are experiencing this and I hope you manage to get it resolved quickly. Take care.
I can tell you have been in the same position. Its so frustrating as well as a compromise on my mental health.
You would think that they would realise that I would actually run out if they didn't do the prescription with the 2 days!
I am becoming concerned that the doctors have not actually authorised it as the pharmacy said they had not received it, whereas sometimes they say they have only just received it so could I come back later when ready.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Hi there,

I was wondering, can your pharmacy request prescriptions from your doctor's surgery on your behalf? Is so, then one working solution would be for your meds to be added on the Repeat Dispensing Service (RDS) - in this case say 4 batches of 'scripts, 7 days supply on each one all to be held by your dispensing pharmacy. For convenience via EPS. Soon as you pick up the final batch, the pharmacy hits a request for a further set of batch issues from the surgery so you have a full 7 days for the GP to sign off a new 'script.

Something obviously worth discussing with your pharmacy and GP so as to avoid any further potential breaks in treatment.

I can tell you have been in the same position. Its so frustrating as well as a compromise on my mental health.
You would think that they would realise that I would actually run out if they didn't do the prescription with the 2 days!
I am becoming concerned that the doctors have not actually authorised it as the pharmacy said they had not received it, whereas sometimes they say they have only just received it so could I come back later when ready.
I’ve been in a similar position and it’s horrible and stressful. I wish I could suggest something to solve it but it’s just a case of keep phoning up and asking. Tell them how much you have left and that it is now getting desperate. I seemed to be doing that every week and it’s draining. Hope you get it sorted soon. Keep us updated. Xx

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$30.00
Goal
$255.00