A Job Conundrum

Forgotten_Man

So I am in a good conundrum.. yet... it seems to screw with me and stress me out and make me suicidal. Anyway, so I have been interviewing and... well around 3 weeks ago I was offered a job. However, the company who wanted to hire me dragged their feet. As a result my financial situation was pretty bad so I could not pause or stop my job hunt. As a result I have been interviewing for another, much better, job, in my opinion. So this new job requires me to relocate, which would require me to take out a loan to pay for, but I still feel it is a better choice. Well.... they want to have me fly out and meet all the teams I could be on... well I start this new job soon, and I cannot afford to not take the job I have been offered, but I do not want to give up this better oppurtunity.

So the problem is that I cannot ask for a day off within one week of joining without leaving a bad taste in the mouth of the people who hired me. Given that I am probably a month out from being homeless... well... I have to start this other job. The problem is that I am not sure how to handle this situation. I mean.... how do I keep a good impression in the company I am with.. while honoring the process of the better job. I just stresses me out and I have no idea what to do... I am struggling to sleep.... I am only able to relax when I drink....... I am not sure... what to do...

So I come here seeking advice.. aside from showing just how screwed up I am for getting even more depressed about being a fairly good situation

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
I wondered if it would be possible for you to see if they would be open to doing a video/teleconference call perhaps at the end of the day or on your lunch hour as the time zone may be different? This would enable you to meet the teams perhaps without having to fly there. Sending you good thoughts and congratulations on landing a job and the possibility of a better one.

Forgotten_Man

I wondered if it would be possible for you to see if they would be open to doing a video/teleconference call perhaps at the end of the day or on your lunch hour as the time zone may be different? This would enable you to meet the teams perhaps without having to fly there. Sending you good thoughts and congratulations on landing a job and the possibility of a better one.
They came back and asked me to do a short video conference, and I was able to get it set up so I can do it from home. I am still kind of worried though, more and more things seem to be falling through at the job I got. Seems to be a lot of mayhem and miscommunication and I am freaking out thinking they might just have not hired me and I am going to be in a real problem.

Kiwi2016

SF Pro
I am so glad that you can do a video conference call..as sounds as if you are encountering problems at the job you currently have. When are you doing the conference call? Just remember to take deep breaths think calm thoughts...keep posting to let us know how you are doing...

Forgotten_Man

I am so glad that you can do a video conference call..as sounds as if you are encountering problems at the job you currently have. When are you doing the conference call? Just remember to take deep breaths think calm thoughts...keep posting to let us know how you are doing...
Sorry I left a lot of details out about my decision making process so you guys would not have to read an essay, but yeah there are problems at my current job. However, that isn't really the reason that I am considering this new position. The reason is my current position came up as a result for a sudden need for more employees. Just to help stablize some of their projects and get them back on track. Which leads me to believe that once that has been completed, in 3 to 6 months, I will be laid off again. Then again I might get converted to full-time I do not know... right now I am a contractor. Still that is the main reason why I am still doing the job hunt.

Most of the time when an interview comes around I can just push all my anxiety out of the way. The problem with this interview is the employees will be asked if they "like me". At the end no matter how I impressed with my skills and know how. If the team doesn't think we will get along, then I do not get the job. Being a software developer... well I know who eccentric and picky 99% of them are. That terrifies me the most.

cymbele

SF Supporter
Been in your situation. People understand that one needs a ft position over being a contractor. Unfortunately unless the contacting company makes you a ft offer then I would continue to search for a ft position. Having to relocate, though, would scare me but I would do it if I had to.
Good luck.

Forgotten_Man

Been in your situation. People understand that one needs a ft position over being a contractor. Unfortunately unless the contacting company makes you a ft offer then I would continue to search for a ft position. Having to relocate, though, would scare me but I would do it if I had to.
Good luck.
Well.... I am full-time for the company that I consult for. It is confusing... it was more confusing at one point, but it is the basic, I am hired by a company and then that company sells my skills to another company as a contractor. It is just I have been doing this consulting thing for a while and I tend to get plenty of job offers when there is a high need and then get laid off the second the need dies down. My past 2 jobs have said that they have tons of work. Then something happens and I can no longer be afforded and I get laid off and it is hard to explain that in new job interviews.

I fully intend to keep interviewing, but only after I had a few days vacation. :(

Kiwi2016

SF Pro
I understand as friends who are contractors it seems like its feast or famine....either too much work or none...I wondered if saying that the projects you were hired to do had been completed or that the funds were redirected would be a way of explaining the hopping around as it is the nature of being a contractor not a reflection of your skills, abilities, expertise and team qualities...hope that you had a good few days of vacation...encourage you to keep posting as we're here o listen...

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00