A Relationship w/Christ & Anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t want to push my faith down anyone else’s throat, try to recruit, manipulate or distract anyone from their problems. I just want to share the answer to mine. I know how it feels to fight fear and hopelessness and disappointment through self-reliance and with a prescription, and now I know how it feels to be saved. I want others to know the latter realization.

I experience irrational anxiety before going, if I have to, where I know there will be crowds, or just a lot of people. Coffee shop, party, reunion, cafeteria, football games. I have tried to avoid them all, or felt sick (heart contracting, sweating, eyes tearing) before having to go and act awkwardly.

I usually feel like I’m on the outside of life, looking in and watching others’ lives play out like a movie, people having the romantic, adventurous lives and personalities that I wish I could have but am as far away from grasping as I am from winning an Oscar.

Suicide was an action I used to think about when I felt really humiliated for not being able to act comfortable in public around others; I thought it could be my escape from loneliness, from disappointing everyone with my mediocrity.

I have seen a psychiatrist before who prescribed me Buspirone for social anxiety, and I am planning to see another one concerning OCD-type thoughts. There isn’t a drug that I can take which would transform my personality, articulation abilities or attractiveness into more than what they are now though. If "man is the measure of all things," I would be found lacking measured up to that particular yardstick. But I am more than I seem, because my identity is secure in Christ’s unconditional and everlasting love for me.

I know my faith in Christ gives me hope, expectancy & purpose. My relationship with Christ is a panacea that heals the split between who I am and who I daydream about being. I will always struggle with anxiety; I can’t perfect myself, but in Christ I already am.

2 Corinthians 12:9
But He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.”

1 John 5:13
These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.

Romans 8:37-39
Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Isaiah 43:1-4
But now, thus says the Lord, who created you … “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; You are Mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, Nor shall the flame scorch you. For I am the Lord your God … your Savior; I gave Egypt for your ransom, Ethiopia and Seba in your place. Since you were precious in My sight, You have been honored, And I have loved you …”

How do you feel when you read these verses? How do you feel when you believe for a second that it’s all true? God said that in this world we would have suffering, but take heart, because He has overcome the world. That’s His answer to evil; you will be pressed down by suffering but not crushed, perplexed but not in despair, persecuted but never forsaken, struck down but not destroyed (2 Cor. 4:7-9)

I can live with having to fight my anxiety and compulsive thoughts because instead of comparing myself to what’s standard beauty/worth, I come to an unconditionally loving God.

What I read/listen to keep from feeling anxious or depressed:
Epic, Waking the Dead by John Eldredge; Captivating by Stasi Eldredge
youtube:
Tenth Avenue North: "By Your Side"
Smokie Norful's "I Need You Now"
Lecrae: "Desperate feat. Cam," Kirk Franklin, Out of Eden

J

jam1e

I'm glad religion helps you:smile:

But personally i think all religions are total crap! If they are so good, why do they all breed hatred and cause war?:sad:

I agree. People commit wrong and hateful actions in the name of all kinds of good concepts (in the name of God or in the name of love, for some examples). The concept or Who they distort is not bad itself, only conveniently misinterpreted by those attempting to justify what they do.

Entoloma43

Some other cool bible verses to check out:

God commands the death of helpless "suckling" infants.
1 Samuel 15:3

You must kill those who worship another god. Exodus 22:20

Kill any friends or family that worship a god that is different than your own. Deuteronomy 13:6-10

Kill all the inhabitants of any city where you find people that worship differently than you. Deuteronomy 13:12-16

Kill everyone who has religious views that are different than your own. Deuteronomy 17:2-7

Kill anyone who refuses to listen to a priest. Deuteronomy 17:12-13

Kill any false prophets. Deuteronomy 18:20

Any city that doesn’t receive the followers of Jesus will be destroyed in a manner even more savage than that of Sodom and Gomorrah. Mark 6:11

Jude reminds us that God destroys those who don’t believe in him. Jude 5

D

Dave_N

I also agree that people should have some spiritual/religious aspect to their lives. I've noticed an unfortunate trend that the majority of the people on this site have turned their backs on God. I agree that when our lives are filled with misery, it's hard to have faith in God, but remember the 'Footprints' poem. 'During your most difficult moments, it was then that I carried you.' :hug:

Random

I've noticed an unfortunate trend that the majority of the people on this site have turned their backs on God.
Don't blame us. It's that darned Bible again. By the time I was ten, I knew it only as "The Book of Death". Whenever I would read it and a new character was introduced, I was counting to see how long it would be before God threatened to kill that character. Or actually did kill that character. Or demanded that his followers kill that character or characters.

That just gives me the creeps. I think it's frightening that people are still taking this crap seriously today with all the technology we have that has so much potential for misuse and outright abuse.

Yeah that very nice religion that says if you don't believe in it, you will be tortured for all eternity. You can't believe that and still be a good person

LastCrusade

For me, I had to die in order to live again. I died many times in my career because I put career as my highest priority even above my family. Fact was that I was totally obsessed with POWER & GLORY. Was brought down to Earth many many times and I finally learned my lesson. Life is the most important thing. Even if we fall down many times, be it whatever we 'worship' (e.g. career, wife, husband, money, our loved ones), as long as we still have our life, we can pick ourselves up and try 'one more time'. that is provided we still have our life. Life is the MOST VALUABLE thing to us. More often than not, the lesson only comes after the experience. But no pain, no gain. Life is full of trials and turbulences and history will tend to repeat itself lest we learn from it. Life is a journey, complete it and don't quit.

J

jam1e

I also agree that people should have some spiritual/religious aspect to their lives. I've noticed an unfortunate trend that the majority of the people on this site have turned their backs on God. I agree that when our lives are filled with misery, it's hard to have faith in God, but remember the 'Footprints' poem. 'During your most difficult moments, it was then that I carried you.' :hug:

That is so untrue! What about parents torturing and killing their children! Where is god then!!

I don't think he is carrying those poor innocent lives then as you say!

It is total bullshit!!:mad:

LastCrusade

Sometimes I used to wonder why does God allow bad things to happen to good innocent people. but who are we to question him when he is our creator. ' His will be done not mine. ' I think God has a higher perspective of things and Life does not simply just end on Earth but Eternity. So our life on Earth is just a journey of trials and tribulations and in the end we all return back to Him. I think the book " Disappointment with God' authored by Phillip Yancy is good reading material for those who are dissappointed with God. More often than not, everybody thinks they are good 'in their own eyes' but they have forgot the negative things that they have done to others. So when bad things happen back to them, they cuss and swear. They cry foul over life. The world is like a stage where everyone has to play a part. How can one blame God over the actions of human beings who choose to do wrong, for example the parents in this case?. You cannot blame God for everything that goes wrong. God cannot be intefering in every single problem nor intefering in every life and death situation. if he does, no one will die and no one will ever learn lessons.

H

HappyAZaClaM

but remember the 'Footprints' poem. 'During your most difficult moments, it was then that I carried you.'
much obliged dave. right neighborly of ye! sorry, I seem to'ave put on
a few extree lbs. lately here. try ta drop a few afore I needs totin agin.
Praise the Lord and pass the onion dip!

H

HappyAZaClaM

Sometimes I used to wonder why does God allow bad things to happen to good innocent people. but who are we to question him when he is our creator. ' His will be done not mine. ' I think God has a higher perspective of things and Life does not simply just end on Earth but Eternity. So our life on Earth is just a journey of trials and tribulations and in the end we all return back to Him. I think the book " Disappointment with God' authored by Phillip Yancy is good reading material for those who are dissappointed with God. More often than not, everybody thinks they are good 'in their own eyes' but they have forgot the negative things that they have done to others. So when bad things happen back to them, they cuss and swear. They cry foul over life. The world is like a stage where everyone has to play a part. How can one blame God over the actions of human beings who choose to do wrong, for example the parents in this case?. You cannot blame God for everything that goes wrong. God cannot be intefering in every single problem nor intefering in every life and death situation. if he does, no one will die and no one will ever learn lessons.
that is the standard ostrich head in the sand mindset of so called
believers, yes. it makes no sense, but I've heard it a million times.
you have plenty of company in the blind faith arena

Some other cool bible verses to check out:

God commands the death of helpless "suckling" infants.
1 Samuel 15:3

You must kill those who worship another god. Exodus 22:20

Kill any friends or family that worship a god that is different than your own. Deuteronomy 13:6-10

Kill all the inhabitants of any city where you find people that worship differently than you. Deuteronomy 13:12-16

Kill everyone who has religious views that are different than your own. Deuteronomy 17:2-7

Kill anyone who refuses to listen to a priest. Deuteronomy 17:12-13

Kill any false prophets. Deuteronomy 18:20

Any city that doesn’t receive the followers of Jesus will be destroyed in a manner even more savage than that of Sodom and Gomorrah. Mark 6:11

Jude reminds us that God destroys those who don’t believe in him. Jude 5

Entoloma43,

I remember reading passages like those and feeling overwhelmed by the beginning-of-Old Testament God and how He put His people (the Israelites) above other nations, how He stretched out His hand against/ commanded His people to kill individuals of those nations.

When I do, I put what God says and does in two contexts. #1 is in the context of His character. God is Love, He is absolute perfection. Historically the nations which the Israelites destroyed did not acknowledge God as the God and their justified societal sins, which God cannot co-exist with. His judgments are extreme, as is the distance between Him and evil is extreme; for example, look how he punishes racism:

“Then Miriam and Aaron spoke against Moses because of the Ethiopian woman whom he had married; for he had married an Ethiopian woman . . . And the Lord heard it … So the anger of the Lord was aroused against them, and He departed. And when the cloud departed from above the tabernacle, suddenly Miriam became leprous, as white as snow …” (Numbers 12; by the end of the passage God answers Moses’ prayer and heals Miriam)

#2 context is realistic metaphor/prophecy. For example, in Isaiah where God talks to His people He does not just mean the Israelites; He means everyone. The Israelites in the beginning of the Old Testament were God’s “Chosen People” in that they were chosen to become an example of how God will treat His people, and place them over those who (like the nations which God showed His wrath against) oppress others & do not choose Him as their God. Through such a perception I read passages which seemingly show God being frightening/ violent towards other nations for the sake of the Israelites, as passages which tell how God will rescue and treasure those who claim Him as their God. An example of such typology would be the rhetoric relied on during the Civil Rights Movement. Blacks aligned themselves with the Exodus story of the Hebrews in bondage, assured that because God delivered His people out of Egypt (after striking Egypt with horrible plagues because Pharaoh did not let His people go), He would surely delivers His people out of an equally oppressing and dehumanizing racist society (whose unrepentant members will face His judgment as well) to the “Promised Land.”

Isaiah 43:1-4
But now, thus says the Lord, who created you … “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; You are Mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, Nor shall the flame scorch you. For I am the Lord your God … your Savior; I gave Egypt for your ransom, Ethiopia and Seba in your place. Since you were precious in My sight, You have been honored, And I have loved you; Therefore I will give men for you, And people for your life. Fear not, for I am with you;”

Jesus Christ the Savior (God in the flesh) is the only Way to God, to an unconditionally perfect identity, to intimacy with the One Who numbers the hairs on your head. Christ died on the cross for all of our sins --no matter what or how horrible or how many they were/are/will be-- so that any person who accepts Christ as his or her Savior can lead a conquering life in this world, and eternal life afterwards.

1 John 5:13
These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.

Basically when I read any part of the Bible, I try to remember that God is good. Devotionals (Family Christian Bookstore) help me to understand verses in historical context, how the Bible fits together as a whole, and how to apply what I learn to my lifestyle to become incomparably renewed. I have realized that while reading through some Old Testament passages, like the ones you pinpointed, I have to remember the prophetic truth in them, which is that God will reach out His hand against another nation to secure a future for and save “His people”/the Israelites (believers.)

To Him who struck down great kings, For His mercy endures forever; And slew famous kings, For His mercy endures forever; -- Sihon king of the Amorites, For His mercy endures forever; And Og king of Bashan, For His mercy endures forever-- And gave their land as a heritage … to Israel His servant, For His mercy endures forever. Psalm 136:17-22

The idols of the nation are silver and gold, The work of men’s hands. They have mouths, but they do not speak; Eyes they have, but they do not see … Nor is there any breath in their mouths. Those who make them are like them; So is everyone who trusts in them. Psalm 135:15-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00