A selfish act?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seven

I was talking to a friend in my art class a few days ago and they said suicide is the most selfish act for one to commit. I haven't stopped thinking about what they said and cannot come to a conclusion on the matter. Is suicide a selfish act? Is it the most selfish act?

sudut

i always wonder how the remaining family members would feel, as in, their lives would be over just as well. they would never forgive themselves and they'd live in confusion, shame and terror for the remainder of their lives here. thats just my 2 cents.

in a way it is selfish, as you are mainly thinking of yourself. you dont intend to be selfish, your not doing it to hurt other people, your doing it because your hurting too much to continue.
and besides, everyone needs to be selfish sometimes.

icerain

i think it is people who have never been in that situation that deem it 'selfish'. i do know that when i tried, it was because in my mind, it would benefit the people around me. and i still believe that they are better off without me. i have also had a close friend commit suiside by gun - was he being selfish? i don't think that i have a right to say how anybody is while in the act. i am not in their shoes.

i think it is selfish in a lot of cases. i have very little family (mom, sister, and niece), and they are the reason i havent commited suicide for many years. while i feel like i cant cope with my own pain, i would never relieve my own by causing tremendous amounts to the only people i love. whether or not they love me in like amounts doesnt matter.

years back, my former bosses wife hung herself from the cieling fan in their living room. he was the most cold hearted man ive ever met, and he was never the same afterwards. he was dead inside. even the coldest of people have the ability to blame themselves for the death of a loved one

believing that your own death, especially a suicide, wouldnt hurt the ones around you is the very definition of selfish. theres a huge difference in feeling alone, and being alone. i spent a month without a home, and that kind of true lonliness made me yearn for the days when i would sit in my room, and sulk in the fact that no one understood me.

then again, some people truly have no one....

fromthatshow

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I don't think suicide is selfish at all. As people have said on here, I agree that it's more selfish for someone to want someone who is in unbearable suffering to continue on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00