A Thought On Happiness...

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Bambi, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I just read this little blurb in Reader's Digest about a book on self help and thought is really made sense.

"Happiness is a tricky word because it is not a destination you arrive at or a sustainable state of being. It's a feeling that your experience, just like any other, and it comes and goes. You can generate it, but you can't keep it; you can make it, but not necessarily hold on to it....The unhappy believe they should be happy all the time. The happy believe that there will be times when they are unhappy"

Well just thought I would share this perspective.

2. cownes

cownes Well-Known Member

its an intresting thought, got me thinking, thanks for sharing it with us!! :hug:

3. Shattered Soldier

Shattered Soldier Well-Known Member

I think the major differences there is coping skills and faith. The happy believe that they will be able to weather the next crisis when it comes, and therefore do not have to fear the temporary loss of this fleeting emotion. The unhappy tend to believe that happiness is a false sense of security, that every bottomless pit of crisis is just looming around the corner, and that they will not be able to deal with it once it comes.

I would be satisfied with being a whole, integral person who "gets" the reason for living. I spend my life observing the normal people wondering exactly what they have been given that my soul does not possess. What it is that I'm missing that they are not. There is a hole in my life that has always been there, an untold secret, an inside joke that I have been the brunt of for my entire existence.

4. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

"I would be satisfied with being a whole, integral person who "gets" the reason for living. I spend my life observing the normal people wondering exactly what they have been given that my soul does not possess. What it is that I'm missing that they are not. There is a hole in my life that has always been there, an untold secret, an inside joke that I have been the brunt of for my entire existence." [/QUOTE]

Ditto!!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.