• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Practical Advice Accepting Chronic/Lifelong Mental Illness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butterfly

Sim Addict
Admin
SF Author
SF Supporter
#1
Hi guys,

I’ve been in hospital for 14 weeks and remain under a section. It’s been a really tough admission. Prior to going into hospital I have been in a depressive episode to varying degrees for at least 4 years, with some episodes of hypomania in between. Life circumstances certainly haven’t helped and I’ve just been existing and not living for the entire time. My level of function has also decreased over the years. At present I feel my future is non existent. My medication has got me to a point where my mood is brighter and I can start to do basic things again. But my current state of mind feels that it’s all pointless.

The doctors, nurses and psychologist believe that although my current situation is tough and overwhelming that things can improve vastly. Though the pdoc today has said it will be a long journey and that instead of worrying about everything, to focus on myself and focus on one thing at a time. It’s likely I will relapse and my journey will be a long one. I may even have to accept some limitations and that I might not be able to go back completely how I was 4 years ago.

I find it very hard to accept but everyone here says that I need another chance at life. Maybe they are right and I need to stop being so stubborn. But on a serious note, how do you begin to accept you have a debilitating mental illness that you will most likely suffer with to some degree for the rest of your life? How do you come to terms with limitations? What if things don’t improve, how do I accept who I am now?
 

VioletDawn

SF Supporter
#2
Hey @Butterfly, it's hard when we realise that things might never be the same again. I spent years waiting to get past the dark feelings and get back to my life. It made me miserable to feel like this was never ending and it took me a long time to come to terms with the fact that I'm never going back to what I had before.

My life now, 19 years on doesn't even remotely resemble what I was. I lost almost everything and when I started over I had to completely change my life goals and outlook. It's been hard and continues to be hard but at the same time, I'm more genuinely me and I'm very grateful that I had the opportunity to step outside of the rat race so I could discover what really mattered to me. I'm currently telling myself that considering everything that's happened, I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be.
 

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
#3
how do you begin to accept you have a debilitating mental illness that you will most likely suffer with to some degree for the rest of your life? How do you come to terms with limitations? What if things don’t improve, how do I accept who I am now?
I face my mental illness the same way I face my physical illness. My life won't ever be the same in either regard. There are things I used to do that I can never do again. I'll never function on the same level again. Look at what you can do. Look at what you can adapt. Look at all your options. It's a choice to accept it or not accept it. You can focus on the limitations and what makes it hard or you can focus on what's good. I know it's not easy, but if you solely focus on the bad you life is going to be far more difficult.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$255.00
Top