• You may receive an error message when sending PMs at the moment. The message you're trying to send has been sent and if you refresh your screen, you will see it. Otherwise you may get many repeated messages. We're working on this!

Adult Autism?

Sevven

Hi, @Sevven O my just seen this thread but wanted to say hi and welcome. My husband and two out of my three children are all Aspergers/ ASD so although I am not I do see how it impacts their daily lives. You seem very in tune with yourself, particularly in your search to understand yourself and get a diagnosis. One thing my son once said to me when he was asked how does his autism effect him, he said he had no idea, where does the autism end and he begin? They cannot be a clear definition between the two. You are you, not a diagnosis, but a diagnosis does help you and sometimes others to understand some of the things you find more difficult than most.
I would say, the main issues for people on the spectrum is social communication, eye contact has already been mentioned here, social anxiety, or feeling socially awkward in social situations particularly with people you don’t know.
The other issue is sensory overload. Every autistic person experiences these differently but you say you get overwhelmed in busy, noisy places, that is most definitely an ASD trait. Have you ever tried noise cancelling earbuds? They have made quite a difference to my son who uses them in school and in places where there is background noise which he finds overwhelming. Difficulty with clothing textures and food textures, light, heat are all fairly typical as well but not always present.
Where are you? In the UK is it possible to get adult diagnosis but I’m not sure about anywhere else though.
Anyway, I hope things work out for you and know that you are 100% accepted here. *hug Xx
I really appreciate your added perspective. It seems, though I'm just scratching the surface of this personal "research", that there is very little communication between the autism community and the medical professionals themselves. Can you imagine going to the doctor with a sore throat and being told, "It doesn't really look red and anyway, I don't know about sore throats"?? How is that even a thing?? It's like, you're considered some form of severely handicapped if you're autistic, so if you don't fit that stereotype no one believes you. And my doctor said the same thing you said, except I'm not certain how you intended it, I guess. Your statement seemed supportive, but the doctor said my self awareness indicates I couldn't be autistic. Buuuut...isn't it known that BPD folks are almost allergic to taking responsibility or of self reflection? So shouldn't she then recant her current diagnosis of me if one symptom lacking is that black and white?
I suppose I'm starting to vent. I told my partner I figured it would go like this. Thursday I felt mostly optimistic about having started the process, although my partner said it was bullshit I was brushed off like that. I maintained that the doctor was trying and I'd wait and let her try to help first, before trying other routes without a guide...Well...I might be trusting a blind guide. That's part of this- I said, "Right now I feel like I'm on the right path, but I bet after I think about it for 3 days I'll be mad." I, for once, accurately predicted my own emotions.
I have Not tried the headphones in public, but if I want to read or write for a while in my shared space, I do use headphones. I've never had noise cancelling headphones because, the thing is, I get nervous if I can't hear my environment, so when I tune out background noise so I can do a quiet activity, my music only plays as loudly as it takes to drown out the other noises. Ideally it would be silent, or I would play music farther away from my head. Even as a child, I remember specifically hating the vacuum because it would mask the sound of any possible threat. I still feel that way, like something will sneak up on me because I can't hear it coming. That just sounds nutso. Oh boy.
Do you know what I stumbled across yesterday? A quote from an adult with asperger's about how he confuses everyone using 100 words to convey an idea he could have gotten across in 10, but he used the extra 90 to make sure he couldn't possibly be misunderstood. My. Life.
Thank you for your time. :)

Sevven

Well @Sevven ,
You've hooked me. —I care 🙂.
Still, not “your people” (🤣😂🤣) but you accept me just as I am❣️.
Glad you were able to express so much to your dr. I will need an update after the next appt. I am happy you are learning and progressing.
🦩🦩🦩🦩
Today I will begin research on autism centers in my area and see who I should turn to, since it clearly isn't my psychiatrist. SHE'S not "my people." hahaha. She Is nice but I'm falling through a crack right now and I see it happening. Thank you for keeping me company here!

Sevven

No way! I just found out there's an Autism center right here in my town! Oh, @Holding my breath I forgot to answer, I am in the Pacific NW united states. I kind of assumed, being that my psychiatrist didn't have any resources, that maybe there wasn't anything nearby. A quick google search turned up much more optimistic information! Of course, I found this out on a Saturday, so I get to sit around anxiously bouncing this next ball until I can get it rolling Monday.....

No way! I just found out there's an Autism center right here in my town! Oh, @Holding my breath I forgot to answer, I am in the Pacific NW united states. I kind of assumed, being that my psychiatrist didn't have any resources, that maybe there wasn't anything nearby. A quick google search turned up much more optimistic information! Of course, I found this out on a Saturday, so I get to sit around anxiously bouncing this next ball until I can get it rolling Monday.....
Good news that you have found somewhere you can go to and perhaps start the road to a diagnosis.
I did mean the comment about being self aware as a compliment. My son is also very self aware and I see it as a good thing. Being able to analyse yourself helps you to make the adjustments that you need, or in my case, he tells me and I then suggest the adjustments as he’s still in school.
Not long to wait before Monday. Let us know how it goes. *hug Xx

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
Admin
SF Social Media
SF Artist
SF Supporter
No way! I just found out there's an Autism center right here in my town!
That's great! Those are really the best places to go for testing and resources. The people at the center's have the specific training and will have the knowledge of any resources in your area.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$125.00
Goal
$255.00