Advice on how to help someone who's bipolar

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by perfect-flaw, Nov 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perfect-flaw

perfect-flaw Active Member

I just recently found out that my boyfriend was actualy diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. (It doesn't bother me at all, and will NOT change my love for him)

It's a long distance relationship for the next year or two, so I've never really had the chance to get close enough to him to experience the swings of his highs and lows, but we're building a relationship.

I just wanted to know what suggestions you guys have for me once he moves closer, and how to deal with it now, long distance.

Are there certain things I should be aware of?
    How do I deal with his moods?
    What's the best way to act around him?

Things like that.

:biggrin: Greatly appreciated!

2. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

I can only speak in general terms since ultimately the individual will have things unique only to that person. Anyways I'll answer each question you have asked individually.

1) Are there certain things I should be aware of?

Just be aware of his general state and moods. There are two extremes to Bipolar, Mania and Depression. While Manic, that person will be energetic and full of Euphoria. You can guess what there like when there Depressed. Check out Wikipedia for some more general info.

2) How do I deal with his moods?

Depends, he might want to be left alone or with you when in his various states. Patience is important. You won't truly know until you've spent some time with him and experienced what he's like when the Bipolar cycle kicks in.

3) What's the best way to act around him?

Just be how you usually are, but once again it really depends on him and his state at the time.

I've not gone into any details when answering your questions but if you want more details then let me know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.