Advice?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Emz131, Sep 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emz131

Emz131 New Member

I suffer with severe depression and I'm unsure if I have an eating disorder or not but could really use some advice. When I'm happy I eat plenty. Even over eat. But when I'm down I really find it hard to eat anything at all and make myself feel quite ill. If anyone has any tips on a good easy food or way to increase appetite id appreciate it. Thanks x

2. Beautiful Hope

Beautiful Hope Active Member

I get this way too. Unfortunately for me, I'm also hypoglycemic. If I don't eat, my blood sugar plummets. Sometimes I go all day without eating until my husband comes home & makes us dinner. The best thing I can think of to help would be for you to consciously say to yourself "you need to eat. You may not feel like it, but you have to. It will help you feel better." That's what I've done a lot of times. Maybe it will help you also. PM me if you want to talk more.

3. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

i can be like this too sometimes. i alternate between over eating when i'm down, and then not eating enough

what i tend to do when i find myself not hungry is think of something i really enjoy.. a food i really like, something i can never resist- then i'll ask someone if it's in the house and will try and eat a little of that- it's motivation for me, because when it comes to a food i like sitting beside me, i feel guilty for wasting it

4. Britt.woodman

Britt.woodman Member

When in doubt eat ice cream, it makes me happy ;)

5. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

It's quite common to completely lose your appetite when you are feeling down, sad, anxious or depressed. I vary greatly in my eating habits to over eating, to not eating for days.

If you find that you don't think you can face a meal, chocolate is supposed to be good because it is supposed to release endorphins but obviously this is not a long term solution (but it is a yummy one). Eating carbs such as a slice of toast, drinking milk, eating cereal are also quite good. I would also suggest that if you can manage a little something, make yourself a small serving of pasta. It is quite yummy and will give you lots of energy for the day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.