afraid i may have bipolar disorder

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by undercoverlover, Mar 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. undercoverlover

undercoverlover Well-Known Member

when i first had my SPECT scan to diagnose my epilepsy, there was an inkling i had bipolar disorder as well. we never really looked into it. i have days and weeks when im very optimistic and feeling well, feeling like i can get a lot of things done, and sometimes irritable and angry in between, and then it will switch almost immediately to very depressed and suicidal. i am on topamax for my seizures which i know can also treat bipolar disorder, but it doesnt seem to be doing much. im also on seroquel and lexapro for depression and anxiety, but im still having symptoms of both.
  2. _Lily_

_Lily_ Forum Buddy

Do you have manic times like suddenly happy or doing things that are reckless ?
    i dont know very much about bipolar
    maybe you should talk to your dr about it and see what she / he says
  3. cymbele

cymbele SF Supporter

Bipolar can match the symptoms you describe, probably bipolar II. But as they say only a therapist/pdoc will diagnose. Anyway I am classified BPII and I remember before being diagnosed I had the same symptoms and depression medicine didn't help. I remember going to a doctor and saying I wanted to stop having those highs and lows and getting Prozac. Today I am on Abilify, Lamictal, and Effexor and while certain situations will depress me overall I have a smoother ride through life and the racing thoughts are not as bad. It's a cliché, but your body will take time to get used to the meds and certain ones will work, others will not.
    Keep posting and tell us what your doctor/therapist tells you.
  4. flowers

flowers Senior Member

hey. after the shock of this possible dx settles down, it may all end up being for the best. Because if you can get the exact right medication for both conditions, then perhaps life will feel very much different for you. I really hope so. There are some pretty darned awesome people who have BD. They are on the right medications for their diagnosis. I hope you will give yourself a calming caring hug. Because I know that a new diagnosis can be very difficult at first. here is one from me :hug:
  5. hi - i think i may be bipolar too - although haven't been diagnosed - i have looked at the descriptors on a uk wesite called mind - and i had to chuckle at the descriptions / symptoms etc - as i've never seen such an accurate description of myself - it's uncanny
    next step for me is a diagnosis - and then i guess i'll just have to see what happens from there
    my main problem will be accepting any meds - i don't like meds
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.