Am I having auditory hallucinations?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Witty_Sarcasm, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Sometimes when I'm lying in bed trying to sleep, I think that I hear people talking. It mostly happens during white noise, like a fan or heater running. I swear I hear people talking or even screaming, but I can't quite make out what they're saying. One night when I was about to fall asleep, I clearly heard someone whisper my name in my ear, but that was all they said. I had the same thing happen to me when I was a lot younger, except it was right in the room. It's scary and I'm not sure what it's from, unless maybe there's a reasonable explanation for what I've heard.

2. Tmacster1

Tmacster1 Well-Known Member

Wow that's kind of amazing. I guess it really isn't i've heard a voice or two before. But, I wasn't able to figure it out... From what I heard it was my mind making up voices... Than again I thought someone was talking to me. But I realized it was just in my head. Your case sounds different... Doctors my admit you to a mental ward if you say your hearing voices. My friend went to her doctor once because she heard voices. They ended up admitting her to a mental ward for an evaluation. Don't thing she had to stay. She was scared she would have to because she thought they thought she was crazy. However, I don't know just sounds odd... Does it happen without white noise? Sorry replying by iPod.

Trevor,

3. Witty_Sarcasm

It's weird though, since I'm not hearing voices in my head. Actually, sometimes I can ask questions in my head and hear a response in a different voice. But I never hear anything violent or scary or weird, just normal talking. I think it's happened before without white noise, it just doesn't happen too often. It seems like if I was having hallucinations it would be on a more regular basis.

4. Tmacster1

Yeah that is kind of weird maybe you have some physic power or something that I don't have. My voices that k heard were scary, and I'm glad I don't have them anymore. So we can rule out hallucinating as a suspect. I don't know of anything else that could do that...

Trevor,

5. Witty_Sarcasm

Wow that is scary, good that you don't hear them anymore. I'm not sure what it is, but I heard it when I was a kid and my mom heard someone say her name too. So who knows what it is, but it's really something that can't be explained.

6. Tmacster1

Yeah might be a memory we'll never solve. Yeah, I'm glad I'm not hearing voices anymore. Sorry been floating to topics. Also my finger is getting tired rofl. The king of iPod finger pecking lol jk I'm sure theres faster people..

Trevor,

7. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I often get the white noise, fuzzy head effect where it seems like 1000 people are talking all at once and I can't make anything out. Mostly it tends to be racing thoughts and something called mental chatter, which tends to happen before you try to go to sleep. I have had auditorys, they are very rare but I know the difference. With the auditory it sounds like someone is just behind my ear, speaking clearly and directly to me at completely random times, not just bed time. However, visuals are more of a problem for me. It is worth getting it checked though as either are very unpleasant to deal with.

8. Tmacster1

I agree, I remember one conversation that was so vivid it's scary... It's definitely somewhere in the brain that produces those voices. Even though there not physically present in front of you. Sometimes I hear my name when no one is calling me --- feels kind of bizarre to me. But, than again it's no weirder than having crazy nightmares. -Sigh

Trevor,

9. Witty_Sarcasm

I'm glad to know it's not something more serious. It's hard to tell anyone that I know that I hear voices, then they just make fun of me or don't take me seriously. Once I thought someone got off the bed next to me, but I was in between sleeping and waking, so I'm sure that would explain it. But when I was a kid, I saw a ball of white light, so that was really strange.

10. Tmacster1

If you do that at the hospital they think your crazy... They may also use restraints because that happens when you say you here voices... I don't know the reasoning behind that, yeah I found it very hard to tell someone that I heard voices - because I though they would think I'm crazy or insane. That's kind of interesting that you saw a ball of light when you were younger. Must of been a little scary?

Trevor,

11. Witty_Sarcasm

Yeah my friend said it was a form of lightning but I don't think so. It was scary at the time but I think that now it might have been someone trying to comfort me. That was right around the time my grandma died so it was a weird coincidence.

12. Tmacster1

I see, I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa though... I don't think that was lighting because lightening is typically really fast, and the light only lasts a few seconds after it strikes.

Trevor,

13. Witty_Sarcasm

I didn't think so either...not on a clear day. It feels like people are just dismissing things I saw or heard when they try to make excuses for it. At least here I know that people will take me seriously.

14. Tmacster1

Indeed, I take you seriously :) because that's in my nature because I'm friendly to everyone. I agree they're trying to make up some for excuses for what you saw and heard... Sometimes people are just not equipped to listen to what were actually trying to say to them... Like my family who tend to ignore my issue and outright say you need to go to the hospital.

Trevor,

15. Witty_Sarcasm

Yeah most people don't care about how I'm feeling...or even encourage me to kill myself...but at least I know I'm safe here and that won't happen.

16. Tmacster1

:) I would never encourage you to kill yourself because your very special, and I know that you have a purpose in your life. I don't know what that is but you do... As do I, of course I don't know my purpose in life is yet either. But, I tend to find strength day by day by coming here and getting support from others. :)

Trevor,

17. Witty_Sarcasm

I don't really feel that way about myself, I know I'm not an evil or bad person but I can't help but think of all the negative things people have said about me. That seems to stick more than the good. I know one of my purposes in life is to help people, and I do well at that so that makes me proud.

18. Tmacster1

I've somewhat noticed that trait in your posts here, and it's similar to me, I like to help others - and I'm willing to spend late hours to do it. :) It tends to make me feel better because I now there's a lot of crisis's going on. I'm not in crisis at the moment but I definitely felt like I was in one 10 days ago. :hugtackles: :hug:

Trevor,

19. darcy1

darcy1 Well-Known Member

i can relate to your auditory halucinations. i have them too.

while trying to get to sleep at night...it usually takes 3 or 4 hours of laying there...i have conversations in my head back and forth between my light side (who has done good things and helped people and had success), my dark side ( who is filled with self hatred and guilt about everything i have ever done wrong or physical problems i have)...and then there is an inbetween voice who barges in and tells them to stop fighting. the dark side is winning right now...it's out of our hands.

also when i fall asleep i do not get into a very deep sleep and it is more of a trance...haven't had a decent night sleep in over 2 years now...but i have auditory and visual hallucinations ...mixed in with dreams...or between dreams...or coming out of the dream back to what people call "reality".

last night in the dream a woman was in bed lying next to me...but it was so real...i couldn't tell i was dreaming. i felt the pillow next to me to see if there was anyone there. but there wasn't.

then i lay there for a while and heard someone knocking at my door...i got up and crept across the apartment very quietly and looked through the peep hole to see nothing and no one was there. not sure if i was dreaming or awake...and now that i think about it i am not sure if i dreamed of myself getting out of bed to check the door or if it really happened.

another time someone was holding a pillow over my head...and i grabbed it and threw it down. then i heard them in the corner of my room by the door making chattering noises...i asked them what they wanted but they stoped talking...

i read up on it and they call them "hypnagogic-hallucinations"...more info bellow...

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-hypnagogic-hallucinations.htm

20. Tmacster1

Thanks for posting your link Darcy - I've only had voices in my head for a couple of months before they went away... I don't have them anymore, and I don't know why they were around... But some of the conversations I had were vivid and scary because it felt so real... It typically takes me an hour or so to fall asleep. I need to mentally shut down before I can get some sleep. I'm sure Christy will thank you for you insights. :)

Trevor,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.