Am i right to reduce my workload?

Backflip___

They / Them pronouns !
SF Supporter
I currently do 4 AS levels - Biology, english language, fine art, and graphics. Not even bringing my mental illnesses into the equation, this is way too much for me. I'm going to drop Biology when i go back to college on monday, because it's far too difficult, and i struggle to find motivation to study for it. Maybe once i start going to therapy and i improve mentally i can pick up a third year but for now it's just too much. My dad is telling me it's the wrong decision though and i really don't know what to think, like, the class is really ruining my self esteem as i'm currently doing the worst out of everyone, so i know it'll help my mental health, but i almost feel weak for dropping it if that makes sense.
thanks for reading!

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
If you feel Biology is too much for you at this moment, then drop it. You can always come back to it later. It's not weakness in dropping it, but a sign of strength in recognising that action needs to be taken for YOUR interests.

Freya

Loves SF
Admin
SF Author
SF Supporter
It was a long time ago admittedly but I started out my A Levels with subjects I didn’t connect with and definitely one too many overall due to pressure from my parents and school. After nearly crashing out of school entirely as a consequence I dropped down by one subject and swapped out another and was considerably happier. I know that school would have you believe that A Levels (then university) are the only routes to success but that simply isn’t true.
I was a secondary school teacher and was in a constant battle with the idea that “traditional” academic success is the only way to a good life. It wasn’t then and it isn’t now.

The real question should be do your future plans require biology for any reason? (E.g do you want to go into something medical or veterinary etc?) If not and it’s making you miserable, get rid of it. You would drop a subject for year two anyway and you’re much much better off doing well in three subjects than eh in four.

I understand your dad’s anxiety - esp if he is like many parents and believes a science is a “real” subject where art or graphics is not. My sister has a biology A Level and makes minimum wage at 35 years old. I am now a marketing manager and pay my chosen freelance graphic designer more than four times that and he makes his own hours and chooses his own gigs.

Education is a tool not a pre-requisite for a happy life. You use it to develop skills that will enable you to do something that will bring you satisfaction. It should not make you miserable. I know a job lot of people who failed all their A Levels and are doing just fine at life. I aced all my A Levels then dropped out of university - twice - before finally going back to get my degree at 23 because I had, by then, worked out what I wanted to do. Life is long and it isn’t a race. Do what keeps you healthy with an eye on the future to ensure you’re not screwing yourself later and you’ll be just fine :)

Backflip___

They / Them pronouns !
SF Supporter
It was a long time ago admittedly but I started out my A Levels with subjects I didn’t connect with and definitely one too many overall due to pressure from my parents and school. After nearly crashing out of school entirely as a consequence I dropped down by one subject and swapped out another and was considerably happier. I know that school would have you believe that A Levels (then university) are the only routes to success but that simply isn’t true.
I was a secondary school teacher and was in a constant battle with the idea that “traditional” academic success is the only way to a good life. It wasn’t then and it isn’t now.

The real question should be do your future plans require biology for any reason? (E.g do you want to go into something medical or veterinary etc?) If not and it’s making you miserable, get rid of it. You would drop a subject for year two anyway and you’re much much better off doing well in three subjects than eh in four.

I understand your dad’s anxiety - esp if he is like many parents and believes a science is a “real” subject where art or graphics is not. My sister has a biology A Level and makes minimum wage at 35 years old. I am now a marketing manager and pay my chosen freelance graphic designer more than four times that and he makes his own hours and chooses his own gigs.

Education is a tool not a pre-requisite for a happy life. You use it to develop skills that will enable you to do something that will bring you satisfaction. It should not make you miserable. I know a job lot of people who failed all their A Levels and are doing just fine at life. I aced all my A Levels then dropped out of university - twice - before finally going back to get my degree at 23 because I had, by then, worked out what I wanted to do. Life is long and it isn’t a race. Do what keeps you healthy with an eye on the future to ensure you’re not screwing yourself later and you’ll be just fine :)
i was originally wanting to be a plant biologist before starting college, which is why i thought i needed it. but i realise now i'd much rather do something more simple for a wage. To be honest, my lifeplan is to save up and buy a plot of land in wales, maybe scotland, and park up a campervan or caravan haha! I know it's a dumb daydream but thats what would make me the most happy, and i think being a biologist now would probably get in the way of that haha.
so no, i don't need it anymore. thanks for your advice! it was really helpful! i'm going to talk to my tutor tomorrow about dropping :D

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00