• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Am I the Only One?

SamB

SF Supporter
#2
You are definitely not the only one who feels alone. I would say that loneliness is a really big recurring theme in peoples stories here.
I think that how lonely people feel is not totally proportional to how many friends and family they have. I would say it’s more about the gap between the amount they have and how many they would like and then multiplied by the amount of time they aren’t busy.
I myself have recently had some work issues that mean I have not been working which has given me a lot more time and cut me off from my work friends, these two have combined to make me feel really lonely as I just sit around with nothing me to do other than think about how lonely I am.
 
#3
You are definitely not the only one who feels alone. I would say that loneliness is a really big recurring theme in peoples stories here.
I think that how lonely people feel is not totally proportional to how many friends and family they have. I would say it’s more about the gap between the amount they have and how many they would like and then multiplied by the amount of time they aren’t busy.
I myself have recently had some work issues that mean I have not been working which has given me a lot more time and cut me off from my work friends, these two have combined to make me feel really lonely as I just sit around with nothing me to do other than think about how lonely I am.
Thank you. Your comment reminded me of times when my life was full of family and friends, but I still felt lonely.
 

SamB

SF Supporter
#4
Apart from trying to keep busy the other thing that helps me is to listen to live radio or watch live TV. The fact that it is live makes me feel a part of the world and just a little less lonely. It’s weird but it kind of works a bit.
 

Windhover

meandering home
SF Supporter
#5
You're not the only person who is isolated, and one of the good things about SF is the sense of being with people who understand. The couch is where I can get trapped when feeling overwhelmed. I hope you feel better & enjoy the quilting again soon. Creative work is great - if you want - for getting to know other creative folks.
 

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
#6
I can't say that I am alone since I have family that we get together from time to time, but I have never much connected or associated with most people I have known or been around. I am schizoid personality type which many have never heard of. It is characterized by limited and in some cases people claim no emotional reactions.
 
#7
Am I the only one here who is completely and utterly alone? It isn’t an exaggeration. I have no family, I have no friends. I was doing OK yesterday. I even got some quilting done which is my passion, but I’ve done very little of it in the past few months. Today, I can’t get off the couch (as you may be able to tell by all of my posts!)
You're not the only one. Several people here have no living family or friends. Many have nobody to list as their emergency contact. Others are 1 person away from being in that boat. I have my husband, and a brother I love although we aren't really that close as adults.

I am in a new city where I don't know anyone (since last fall), and apparently none of my friends want to make the 1.5 hour drive to see me (I don't have a vehicle right now). We do talk on the phone.

I belong to a live depression support group, which is great. Most people in the group have family connections.

I will be your friend, if you like. *hug I'm in your age range (and my husband is 64)I have a few friends from forums such as this and it's great to have someone to talk to who know about mental health stuff.
 

iloverachel

No longer suicidal after 8 years of depression
#8
You are definitely not the only one my friend *hug
Although i am not completely alone i do I feel isolated and alone most of the time
My close friend moved to Montreal. Most of my friends are busy with families and we drifted apart.
I talk to a few co workers at work, but most the time i feel lonely and that no one cares.

I am sorry you feel so alone, I hope that feeling goes away soon and you find the right people to spend time with
 

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
#9
As the others have said, you are absolutely not the only person here who either IS alone or FEELS alone. Many people come here not because they're suicidal but because they're isolated from others. Sounds like you're finding a great spot here on the forum, see you around :)
 

Livelife

SF Supporter
#12
It's an unfortunate roller coster of running between being able to go through a day minimally or even basically acceptable to not wanting to get out of bed and being unhappy about waking. No relief, I believe in largest part, because of aloneness.
 
#13
Am I the only one here who is completely and utterly alone? It isn’t an exaggeration. I have no family, I have no friends. I was doing OK yesterday. I even got some quilting done which is my passion, but I’ve done very little of it in the past few months. Today, I can’t get off the couch (as you may be able to tell by all of my posts!)
I can relate. My loved ones in this country have passed away. I have no close friends, no one texts me or call regularly. Once in a blue moon type of thing. Quilting looks cool. It is okay, quilting will always be there for you when you want to do it again. Sometimes my guitars sit for weeks and the suddenly I'll want to play again.
 

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
#14
I can relate. My loved ones in this country have passed away. I have no close friends, no one texts me or call regularly. Once in a blue moon type of thing. Quilting looks cool. It is okay, quilting will always be there for you when you want to do it again. Sometimes my guitars sit for weeks and the suddenly I'll want to play again.
A fellow guitar player. :) Finding something that is a passion or just something for fun is always a plus.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top