Anger Issues?

devildog

stars can only keep me company for so long
I'm always angry, I'm a very sensitive and defensive person. I rely on predictability and hate change, so I get frustrated if people change things up on me and sometimes i break down because I have my whole day planned then i feel lost? I don't eat breakfast of lunch because I feel unwell all day and I'd prefer not to eat infront of people. My health issues make me tired and upset so I'm almost always in a mood and little things set me off. My bf is kinda very mean and I used to adore him and now I'm just bitter when he does things that upset or hurt me because I'm so tired of it all. I want to be less angry about everything, I tried meditating and incense ect but idk? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, does anyone have anything they do to calm themselves and "feel at peace"?

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
I'm always angry, I'm a very sensitive and defensive person. I rely on predictability and hate change, so I get frustrated if people change things up on me and sometimes i break down because I have my whole day planned then i feel lost? I don't eat breakfast of lunch because I feel unwell all day and I'd prefer not to eat infront of people. My health issues make me tired and upset so I'm almost always in a mood and little things set me off. My bf is kinda very mean and I used to adore him and now I'm just bitter when he does things that upset or hurt me because I'm so tired of it all. I want to be less angry about everything, I tried meditating and incense ect but idk? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, does anyone have anything they do to calm themselves and "feel at peace"?
How long did you try meditation for? It takes a lot of practice to see change.

Hi lovely, not for everyone but I run with my dogs until we’re all exhausted - usually me first! So I guess outdoor \ exercise. I find it clears my mind / naturally tires me / and if I play music as I run - stops me thinking and rethinking shit. Whatever you do I hope hugely that you find your little bit of peace soon xx

devildog

Hi lovely, not for everyone but I run with my dogs until we’re all exhausted - usually me first! So I guess outdoor \ exercise. I find it clears my mind / naturally tires me / and if I play music as I run - stops me thinking and rethinking shit. Whatever you do I hope hugely that you find your little bit of peace soon xx
I'd love to run, but I have a bad hip and after a few nights of running the pain makes it hard to walk. I do other exercise everyday though and it seems to help

How long did you try meditation for? It takes a lot of practice to see change.
Just a week actually, I didn't really know what I was doing though and I figured the idea of meditation helping was too good to be true anyways.

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
I'd love to run, but I have a bad hip and after a few nights of running the pain makes it hard to walk. I do other exercise everyday though and it seems to help

Just a week actually, I didn't really know what I was doing though and I figured the idea of meditation helping was too good to be true anyways.
I promise you that it's been scientifically proven that meditation helps control your thinking and emotions. Also, it actually shrinks the amygdala, which is the primal part of your brain that sends stress chemicals to other parts of the brain and causes anxiety. When you have anxiety often, the amygdala is larger and oversensitive. There's been a study that showed 12 weeks of meditation shrunk the amygdala and made it less sensitive.

devildog

I promise you that it's been scientifically proven that meditation helps control your thinking and emotions. Also, it actually shrinks the amygdala, which is the primal part of your brain that sends stress chemicals to other parts of the brain and causes anxiety. When you have anxiety often, the amygdala is larger and oversensitive. There's been a study that showed 12 weeks of meditation shrunk the amygdala and made it less sensitive.
I will try to figure it out then and I'll try to stick to it

Lotus

Pariah...
SF Supporter
I used to suffer from chronic explosive anger. There were times I thought my rage would consume me. I really can't stress the benefits of meditation enough. But it doesn't have to be meditation, anything constructive that helps channel all that emotion into something more positive can take the place of meditation. It's just a question of finding it.

It can vary for different people and even on different days. Sometimes a good maybe boxing session or some form of cardio may help you release the anger/bitterness you are feeling.

I too would suggest trying meditating more regularly before deciding if it works for you or not. Also, yoga. You can try to look up YouTube videos for both to help you.

Otherwise, music, movies, comedy shows/podcasts may also help to divert your thought for long enough to give you some mental space so you focus less on the negative emotions.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
I'd like to meditate but I feel so freaking scattered! We're rowing the same boat, huh?
I've had some real anger management issues in the past too. I don't know what really helped more than physically getting it out. Now I'm old and decrepit so that's not possible and you're saying you're in pain so you have physical limitations keeping you from that sooo.. man, that's a tough one. I do hope you get some answers.
Music! That's always a good one.

Paisley

SF Artist
SF Supporter
This might sound weird but I channel my fury into drawings or paintings when I feel like I'm about to snap. Some of what I consider my best work has been born of extreme anger or sadness.

This is very much like me . I fly off into a rage ,and sometimes frighten people . I'm in trouble at work ,because of it ,and am now seeking help . I just hope that they understand .
Anger is good for energy , but you feel bad afterwards
Wish I knew how to deal with it

JmpMster

Owner Emeritus
You seem to like to be in control of things (thta is not a criticism- if anything compliment) So anger hurts you 2x, the emption and fact you lost control. I would take a very serious look at your post and pick out what things you can control and what things you cannot, understand you have to learn to cope with the ones you can't control and seriously consider making changes to situations that you can control are not helping you or make you bitter (which is really just another way of saying storing anger). If somebody is mean and makes you bitter and hurt you it seems you would be far better off making that not part of your life. You cannot control the way he acts, you can control if it is going to hurt you or not.

On plans- I also like to have things planned out. A small trick I learned is making an alternate plan ahead of time. It sounds a little corny and off the wall but it did help a lot for me and a lot of other people. I cannot know/predict what will be added or dropped from my plan if it is somebody else making the change , but i can plan "if my schedule gets changed today then I am going to..." fill in the blank (and no, it cannot be a violent act towards the person that made the change ;)) . It does not really matter what the fill the blank is . Sometimes it would be if the morning schedule got messed up then switch the 3 O'clock thing with the 4 O'clock thing. I always liked ot have a side thing planned in if was a cancel, and choose ahead what I would cancel if something got added, but having some small ridiculous "change" ready for my plan if something came about that I could adjust things for is the key. That way, while I cannot help that my plan was changed around, I had a chance to make things go back on my terms again- back to my plan, a change I decided would happen. It may sound a little silly, but it is no sillier than me having my whole day ruined because at 10 am something came up I had not expected, and still being bothered by it 5 hours later. It just let me take control again instea dof feel like I was at the whim of everybody else all the time.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$110.00
Goal
$255.00