Anxiety, depression, panic

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Kabukicho, Mar 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kabukicho

Kabukicho Member

I have struggled with mental health issues for my entire life. My anxiety is especially debilitating. Insomnia is also an issue, as is depression. Started getting panic attacks two years ago.

I've tried everything and I'm starting to realize that there's no answer. There's no fix. This is a disease that I have and I'm going to be carrying this burden until I die. The realization is slightly liberating and also very depressing. I don't know what to do.

I've just started laughing when people tell me all about the holistic remedies for anxiety. They don't know what they're talking about. Exercise, healthy diet, minimum alcohol, no smoking, no caffeine, therapy. I've tried all of them. Antidepressants didn't work either. The only thing that seems to work is shoveling massive amounts of Xanax down my throat. Which doesn't work either--not in the long term.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I am sorry to hear that the medication you have tried did not work Of course there is no way you have tried all of the medications out there it takes times and trust in your doctor to find the right one that fits you. New medication out there every year new one comes out it seems The best treatment for anxiety is therapy with meds both together you stand a chance of lessening it not ridding it totally but making it more tolerable. One thing that does keep the anxiety away for me is just keeping myself so dam busy i don't have time to worry but that is me I do hope you are able to find some support to help you just don't stop looking ok

3. mrtambourineman

mrtambourineman New Member

I feel the same, it hurts.

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hey there, I can totally understand where you are coming from. I'm over the depression but anxiety and insomnia do linger around at times. I was on xanax and begged my doctor to take me off it. It is a great drug as PRN (as needed) but I think daily use leads to further problems down the road. I am on valium (diazepam) now. It stays in your system longer than the evil xanax, so you won't get withdrawal symptoms....that was a big problem for me when I was on xanax, I was getting withdrawal every few hours.

The best advice I can give to you from my own experience, is to engage in therapy(I know you didn't want that mentioned but so many people get so much out of therapy, I think you should try it, personally I would give it another go), make sure you get out of the house daily, perhaps the doctor can assess you again and assess your current medications (I read anti-d's have never helped you), I thought that too until I started on setraline, it has not made me perfect but it is working-and I have been on a LOT of different medications, this one has worked for me :) Hang in there.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.