Anxiety-what has worked for you???

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Petal, Nov 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hey everyone, we are always asking and sharing coping mechanisms but I was wondering what has actually really worked for you? In this thread...I'd like to see what has actually worked for you rather than what people have said or suggested.

What has worked the best to lesson your anxiety??

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

going for a walk outside just feeling nature the wind the warmth or cold in the air and watching wildlife

3. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Distracting myself in any way possible and doing things I enjpy. Reading, writing, watching movies, listening to music, etc. And of course therapy has been helping me to be more positive and given me better ways to cope :)

4. caspar

caspar Well-Known Member

Might sound weird but, I say to myself, while experiencing anxious thoughts, panicking etc - 'this is anxiety'. It helps me take a step back (so to speak) and sort of understand that it's just anxiety, it's not necessarily real or truthful or will last forever. Even just saying that to myself once eases me slightly, like pressure is released. Along with that, trying to detach myself as much as possible from the train of anxious thoughts, and try not to get caught up in it, as it's often a snowball affect. Just try next time you're feeling anxious to say, 'this is anxiety', it's very simple but I hope it helps!

5. Marga

Marga Active Member

Thanks for the advice caspar. I also have social anxiety and I do a similar thing - tell myself "this is not real, this is only anxiety". It helps sometimes. The problem is you are sometimes so overwhelmed by the anxiety that you don't realize it is anxiety. Maybe that's rather some sort of paranoia - like thinking that people are judging me all the time and don't like me. In interaction with people I sometimes try to "pretend" that I am "normal". I think "what would a normal person behave like in this situation" and I try to do it. Unfortunately, people eventually always find out I am not like that and stop contact with me, but this strategy gives me at least moments of relief.

6. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

When it's really bad I clean, just the sheer movement and mundaneness of the tasks seems to give me something else to focus on.

7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Thanks everyone for the responses and supporting each other on this thread is great too. It's good to see what actually works for people, I agree that all those are great suggestions. Keep em' coming :hug:

8. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Like Witty, I must distract myself. Get my mind off my worries and fears. But that is very hard to do sometimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.