Anxiety

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Butterfly, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I will apologise for this post as it is probably more a rant towards myself rather than anything in particular. So things have been going great for the past few months. Got on meds that work for me and have finished a course of CBT and I'm now starting a new type of therapy. But since I witnessed a traumatic car accident a couple of weeks ago, the anxiety has been creeping back in again. It's nowhere near as bad as it has been in the past but it's prevalent enough to be bothering me. Since doing CBT I have realised that when I get anxious I get extremely obsessive thoughts and sometimes it can turn into paranoia when the thoughts get too obsessive. I have also realised that I am a ruminator too. All of which are unhelpful thinking patterns. I am trying to put my CBT into practice and I think it has worked to some extent as I wouldn't say I am having full blown anxiety attacks. The anxiety is there, and the obsessive thoughts are there but the attack isn't too severe (at the moment). In some ways I guess this shows progress, and I am trying really hard but I am having a lot of "what if?" thoughts which only serve to create problems. So I am trying to challenge them with "so what?" thoughts.

Despite the progress I am feeling really bummed that I am suffering with anxiety again though. I guess you could say that it's an understandable reaction to a tragic and traumatic event and I accept that this is most likely the case rather than "I'm such a bad person, I deserve bad things" as I don't believe this is the case at all. But now the seed has been planted, I can't seem to get rid of it and I am feeling a little helpless and frustrated. I know I should persevere, and I intend to do so, but in the mean time I am stuck feeling like crap and it is so frustrating! I don't know what else to do :(

2. Butterfly

Feeling quite low today :(

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hope you can get outside today Butterfly and just enjoy nature ok as it does help to reduce anxiety hugs to you

4. Butterfly

Managed to get out of everything I had to do today and have just been hibernating all day. Unhelpful I know, but I think I needed a day away from the world. Have been looking over my CBT stuff so have not been completely destructive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.