Anxiety

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Petal, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Does anyone else here suffer from nausea caused by anxiety, to the point that you actually get sick after you eat?
    Have you found anything that cures it? I have a ton of anti nausea meds.. they don't help much though. :unsure: Can't afford to lose any weight :|
    Oh and I've spoken to the doctor about this before- it was no help, long term.

2. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

Re: Anxiety / nausea

Actually yes I can relate to this in a way, I get nervous/anxious get that butterfly sensation then I basically start to feel sick I try to eat but even if it is a small amount it makes it worse.

I think it is too do with the acids in your stomach etc, I am not sure. As for how to get rid of it. Well all I have found is I smoke 20 cigarettes a day now. I think maybe waiting until it has settled a bit, eating little and often? Also to do with diet eating the right foods, would it be something maybe seeing a nutritionist about? specially if you are already on tablets? have you considered it?

3. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

You have to calm your mind, not your stomach. It occurs when the sympathetic nervous system kicks into high gear aka the "flight or fight" response. The digestive tract is then inhibited.

Work on your anxiety with your doctor or a therapist. Relaxation exercises may help.

4. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

When I go into a depression my normally easily triggered anxiety can become completely paralyzing. If I have harder to digest food in my stomach like meat or vegetables and I am extremely anxious I can get to the point of being barely able to prevent myself from throwing it up.

My grandmother's cure for nausea was peppermint schnapps, a German liquor but the important component was the peppermint. Mints like peppermint or spearmint relax the esophagus and very effectively prevent the gag reflex. I prefer spearmint and I prefer it in a sugar free chewing gum- the chewing in itself helps calm me down and the saliva is supposed to further help digestion.

:arms: :thumbup:

5. Petal

Thanks :) sorry you have this too :hug: Eating little and often doesn't work for me, I can't even stand the smell of food when I'm like this. My chest,neck feels tight and like there's a knot in my tummy. Have tried all different foods, burnt toast, ginger ale which are supposed to help, this does but not for long.

Thanks Datura :)

wow.. never heard of that one! Gonna look that up :) Thanks for your help, appreciate it :hug:

6. Petal

Been reading up on the flight or fight response for the past hour. It does explain it,but sounds a bit complicated for me lol.
    If I knew for sure right now that I'd always have anxiety this bad.. I'd just end it.After living the past 7 years in constant anxiety, the worst part is I don't even know exactly what brings it on so I can't fix it, the only escape from it is sleeping..however selfish this sounds-I know that it's not worth it. Can't talk to anyone, cannot do normal everyday things, have no friends, no future. You can't even call it living.

7. plates

plates Well-Known Member

it's horrific. like you , i try and sleep it off. because sleeping relaxes me. but safety is really important.

ie, boundary making between you and whatever that is causing you distress- through visualisation or through physically making a distance between yourself and that person/thing, as well as self soothing and the focus on your body to help ground yourself. massages, breathing, exercise, concentrating on a safe image, grounding techniques, paying close attention to your environment, the room you're in and how you are in it- if there's something off, then i'll change that. i found having a relatively clean and tidy (i'm messy usually so there's always some sense of disorder wherever i am) place helps me feel calmer.

also letting out- what's bothering you- if you can try and express it any way.

when i'm really bad a bit of drink or benzodiazapines helps a little.

i really feel for you. i struggle with this a lot, and have done. but never realised i was so anxious.

8. Petal

Thanks ggg, sorry you're going through this too :( :hug:
    This,I can't do :( I find it really hard to talk/write or do anything normally, when anxiety hits that hard, all I can do is either cry or be sick.

I've been on benzos for this before, took way too many at a time, doctor figured they were doing more harm than good~ they worked a miracle, but can't get them prescribed anymore.

I will re-read your suggestions when I'm less tired and go through them, drop me a PM if you wanna talk :)

9. dnE ehT

dnE ehT Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you have this too.

I feel physically sick from anxiety alot also. I've had it my entire life, but this year it has gotten so bad I had to drop out of school.

It's painful, and I told my doctor and therapist that I have alot of anxiety. I was just given medication that does absolutely nothing. No one around me has even the faintest iota of how horrible it is living like this.

I think the best thing you can do is to talk to someone and learn how to manage it. Finding a medication that helps should also be considered.

10. Petal

Thank you dne eht :hug:

I agree, I don't think they do realise :( Do you still see your therapist? Did she recommend anything else?

11. dnE ehT

dnE ehT Well-Known Member

Doctor=she
    Therapist=he
    psychiatrist=she

My therapist wanted me to join a "dialectical behavior therapy" group, but I turned it down because I'm too anxious just to get help at this point.

Ever since I told my therapist that I wanted to kill myself, he basically removed me from his patients list because he "couldn't give me the level of care I needed". I've been seeing my old child psychologist since then, but she quit her job to do "other things". I'm still waiting for a new person to take her place.:unsure:

12. Petal

Just an update:

Managed to pluck up the courage to phone doc again. She refused to give me anything for anxiety but gave me something for nausea, seems to be helping a bit.. for now :)

13. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

:O forgot to say it to you lynn, When i went the doc gave me stuff called motillium, you can get it over the counter, and its for anxiety/nerves and keeping food down

14. Petal

Thx emma :) Have this stuff, it's not strong enough for me lol :)

15. mandyj101

mandyj101 Well-Known Member

Hey there..
    This might sound a little 'far out' :hippy: but have you tried some sort of meditation / breathing exercises?
    I was given a book about it.. was quite intreresting.. hasnt cured my anxiety issues or anything.. but its amazing what 5 mins of deep controlled breaths can do!
    Im sure there is lots of information online about it .. if you cant find anything though.. will post some of the techniques it has listed in my book..
    :hug:

16. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

Awww damn, was worth a shot tho Lynn

17. Petal

Can't believe its been nearly 2 months since I posted this. How time flies :eek:hmy:

Been trying to sleep all night(its 9am now) and can't :( because when I lay down I can feel my heartbeat going really fast, my neck feels tighter and arms tingly and its just a horrible feeling :( Damn panic attacks on top of what was already wrong with me is just really getting me down. My doc is actually listening to me now, prescribed me meds that have helped a lot over the past few weeks but I'm out of meds now and hoping to get some more later today. *crosses fingers*

18. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

I feel for you i suffer stomach problems from anxiety i get nausea but i'm never sick, mine usually effects the other end feels like nothing really sorts it. I do find xxx strong mints or lemon and ginger tea temporary soothes my stomach sounds like yours is past that though. I hope you find something that works for you.

19. Ember

Ember Member

Yes I have noticed this. I haven't found anything that helps though. What I have noticed is that when I do eat to curb the nausea, my sense of taste is completely off until I am able to calm down.

20. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Peppermint tea is good for the stomach, chamomile tea is good for the nerves... Maybe make yourself a cup with one bag of each to drink with the meal? I believe drinking tea on its own is calming as well, so you've got 3 positive effects going on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.