Anybody here tried ECT?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Silverpuddle, Dec 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silverpuddle

Silverpuddle SF Author

I'm seriously contemplating having this done. I've been very depressed for many years, and medication has never given me complete relief. I hear scary stories about it, though . . . people who have had decades'-worth of memories wiped out and things. Has anybody here tried it? Did it work? And if it helped, how long did the effect last?

2. demuredawn

demuredawn Well-Known Member

i have not tried it but there are a couple people here that have that i know of..

i am not going to try or judge if it is good or bad, like i said i've never done it... and i'm not a candidate for it anyway b/c i already have a seizure disorder so they are afraid that the "controlled seizures" would become uncontrolled and thus defeat the purpose

only thing i can say is to remember... anything that you do can have some kind of side effect, its more about what you are willing to risk side effect wise and what you are willing to accept side effect wise .... b/c nobody will be able to tell u how it will react with you... all treatments whether medication , ect, therapy, or anything else will react slightly differently to everyone.... b/c we are all different individuals both physically and emotionally ...

i wish you well though and hope you make the right decision for you

3. mpang123

mpang123 Well-Known Member

Silverpuddle, yes I have had ECT 15 yrs. ago when I was very chronically suicidal. The doctor at the psych hospital suggested it to me and I thought why not? After a few sessions, I had to stop it because I didn't think it was working at all. What happened was that I lost a month of memory before the treatment and a month after the treatment. My family said they came and visited me and I didn't even remember that. I was told my memory would return, but it never did and I think it has affected my memory even now. I am glad I had the choice to stop it before it went too far because I volunteered to do it. I see others who were going through the treatments and they look like zombies. So, I have nothing but bad experiences with it, but that's just my account. You may want to get more feedback before you make a judgment yourself.

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hi Silverpuddle i know of many people who have had ECT some have reacted so favorable to it with just small amt of loss of memory everyone is different It usually takes sometime 7 treatments to have a full affect though Talk it over with your doctor and even go to hospital and have the nurses there show you how it is done It is very gentle now

5. Danialla

Danialla Well-Known Member

I had 12 treatments in Oct/Nov. because of suicidal thoughts. I don't think it really helped but I also didn't lose any memories. I had them at 7 in the morning and was able to go back to work each day by 11. The Dr. said I tolerated ECT very well, but we were both disappointed with the results. I would give it a try. Good luck to you.

6. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

I had ect about 3 years ago. No success. I did have a good amount of memory loss but i dont think i lost any good memories anyway so no biggie. I dont think as clearly as i used to but I'm not sure if thats from ect or years of depression and meds.

7. AnnieK

AnnieK Well-Known Member

hoping to hear more from anybody that's had ECT. considering it myself. thx.

8. mpang123

mpang123 Well-Known Member

Actually, even though previously my ECTs didn't work, I'm thinking about doing it again. I just want my traumatic memories to go away and not be ruminating on it day to day. They are very disturbing thoughts and I think ECTs help with that. I had it before when I was chronically suicidal, but after a few treatments, I admitted to the doc that I'm still suicidal so I don't think it works. He stopped giving me the treatments, but I did experience memory loss from it. I just hope my bad memories will be zapped and not be haunted by them everyday.

9. JustKindaThere

JustKindaThere Well-Known Member

I've never had ECT but my mum knows someone who has and it only relieved him of depression symptoms for like one or two weeks at a time before they took over him again.

10. sweetles

sweetles Well-Known Member

have been curious about ECT for a long time, actually started a thread on it here. but sounds like it's not the answer for me either. :(

11. IamTetsuo

IamTetsuo Well-Known Member

Wow, you really would have to be crazy to get this done.

12. jegsu34

jegsu34 Member

I have had ECT done a few years back. There are a few things I don't remember, but I am not sure if it is from the treatment. The treatment did not work for me. I am still dealing with times of really deep depression.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.