Anyone have olfactory hallucinations?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Theodora, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Theodora

Theodora Well-Known Member

Mine started twenty years ago during a particularly traumatic period. Often pleasant smells. Took me a while to recognise they were unreal.

2. oval

oval Well-Known Member

Yes! I smell and taste things that aren't there or have a misperception of what it actuaply smells or tasts like. I've had an MRI done and went to a nose,ear throat doctor but no findings.
    I smell a mix of pleasant and nasty things. Sometiems I smell somethng hat just isn't there, like smelling pee everyqhere, testicles or burnt rubber, sometimes ice cream or oregano. My cats smell like rice, chicken nuggets and the dentist office. Sausages taste like pwppermint, or tea may taste like horse. Food frequently tastes like pee

3. Theodora

First time I knew smell was unreal was smell of gas. I'd been scouring house for a leak when realised what I was smelling was coal gas which had been phased out years before. Tonight I've been smelling an 'illegal substance' which I can be fairly sure has not been smoked in this house in reality. Once I had such an incredibly strong smell of fresh gingerbread I went outside to see which neighbour had been baking.

4. Bad_Wolf

Bad_Wolf Member

I smell my mom's perfume sometimes. I think it may be a coping mechanism.

5. Theodora

It must be good to have a pleasant memory of your mother. I don't know what that's like.

6. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I smell my grandmother's perfume quite often, but to me, it is comforting...reminding me of one of the only people who truly loved me when I was young

Just saw your post Bad_Wolf...we definitely should talk about this!

7. 41021

41021 Banned Member

yes.
    never met anyone else who did.

8. Androgyny

Androgyny Well-Known Member

It happens to me every now and then.

Some examples -

* Food
    * Deodorant/perfume someone close used to wear
    * The scent of freshly unwrapped playing cards
    * Smell of ocean spray, yet a million miles from any water way...

All without logic, reason or even any seeming trigger...

9. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I often smell petrol, gas, burnt rubber, smoke, weed and sometimes smell nice sweet things. Often I can come home from work and cannot get the smell of pee or poop out my nose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.