Anyone tried C.B.T ?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by dancingbear, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dancingbear

dancingbear Member

I have severe bipolar and mild ocd. Im currently on anti depressants/psychotics and self medicating with illegal drugs.

In hindsight I realise that the ocd came first and that the depression ( which later progressed to bipolar ) was an offshoot of not understanding and unaware I suffered from the former.

I was too embarrassed to talk to my G.P about the symptoms of the ocd and as a result only talked about the depression and was I now believe wrongly prescribed anti-depressants.

This was all further confounded in desparation with illegal drugs which led to being prescribed anti-psychotics

Fast forward to present, I can now recognise the domino effect it had on me and realise what I really needed from day 1 was some kind of behavioural therapy.

Other then being advised it may help - I have never explored this avenue.

I would really appreciate if someone who has tried it could condence their experiences into a few choice points of how it works, whats involved and any practical/methods that have worked for you.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

I'm awaiting my first session of CBT after being recommended for it by my CPN

I am sure it will be a great help

Already I am on Lamotrigine

tc Dancingbear

:freehug:

3. dancingbear

dancingbear Member

Thats great ( in the nicest way possible ) - do keep me posted.

4. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Will do Dancingbear

Thanks

:freehug:

5. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

If REBT is the same thing - this is what helped to heal me. Rational Emotive Behavioural Therapy. It's turning my mind into a + instead of a - :)

6. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I have had CBT in the past and it was extremely helpful. It explores thought processes and helps you learn coping mechanisms for certain thoughts and thought processes and becoming aware of your thoughts and triggers. It really helped me the first time with the depression and anxiety side of things. I am going to have a further course in March, which will hopefully help some again.

7. Adam

Adam SF Supporter

CBT is very good, it gives you greater self awareness of what is going on within your own thoughts and gives you the tools to take greater charge in what thoughts you give strength and what ones you downplay and eventually force out. But saying that it is not a miracle cure. Like any tool you are the one that has to use it. It takes practice as well as a good CBT therapist. I hope it works out for you.

I can thoroughly endorse it myself as I am a sufferer of Bipolar also. It helped me get serious insight into my own states of being. It also broke me out of a very dangerous trap. Basically being depressed because I am depressed so I get more depressed because I am even more depressed! Seems funny now I look back on it. :) I hope it gives you valuable insight also. It also has pretty solid efficacy and stands up well versus other therapies.

Take care.

8. dancingbear

dancingbear Member

Yes I know what you mean -the whole being depressed about being depressed !

Thanks for the reply guys - Im def. Going to look into it and borrow a few books about it first.

Hopefully in time i can use it to replace everything, esp. the illegal drugs - im starting to feel my age now and getting to old for that stuff. I am very ashamed for it too, it really is not the answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.