Approaching someone with an ED

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Remedy, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

Well, it's like this. I'm 90% sure a girl I was close to for many years has been making herself sick. For the past 2 years I've had very little contact with her, but I still feel like I should do something... So it's either be really blunt, try rebuild the friendship or leave it to the people she's with.
    I'm leaning towards the out of nowhere message asking 'do you throw up?'. Maybe because of our history she'll be more open? Or maybe it's a terrible idea.
    Opinions please? :dunno: I'd be really thankful for some advice.

2. Samsara

Samsara Well-Known Member

Depends a lot on her...but honestly, most people with a psycological illness like that...they can be really irrational when they feel compromised in that respect. It's up to her to change, but...maybe if you try...it may help wake her up? Use your best judgement...

3. Remedy

Thank you for your reply Samsara. Thinking about it, I don't imagine she'll listen, stubborn and irrational are words that go hand in hand with her.

4. triggs

triggs Account Closed

it's difficult to know how people will react to certain situations... the blunt way does sometimes seem the best option, but if it were you and someone who you hadn't talked to in quite a while just came out and asked you, would you not be tempted to lie?
    if you do want to just ask her and offer support, let her know gently, so that she feels less abliged to blatently lie to you.
    it's nice you're worried about her though - you seem like a lovely person :) good luck x

5. Remedy

I actually didn't think of putting myself in her shoes. You're right I'd probably go on the defensive...
    It's sad though, I always think of her from when we were younger. Kinda tragic to think that little girl has grown up and is making herself sick. :(
    Thank you for your help Laura, if I contact her I won't be so brash. :hug:

6. triggs

triggs Account Closed

:) i hope it all goes well and she's okay
    maybe you can rekindle your friendship and have some more lovely memories :)
    good luck hun xx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.