Availability of Staff Positions on SF

Discussion in 'Forum News & Updates' started by NYJmpMaster, Feb 9, 2016.

1. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

In the spirit of doing all we can to ensure that as many people as possible are helped on SF we recently put out a call for volunteers to help with everything from social media, creating artwork/memes, writing articles, to helping with the core functions of keeping SF safe and supportive.

After careful consideration we have decided there should certainly be a way for anyone who wants to help SF to help SF.

We can always use extra "eyes" and extra people offering support to new people - and extra people 'visible' that members know they can ask questions to or ask for a little extra support. With that in mind we are introducing the "Pro" position. The safety and support roles performed by these members exactly mirror that of the majority of SF Staff. These roles are considered junior staff positions.

Chat Pros:
    Will have a star ★ in front of their name and (CP) after their name so they are identifiable in chat on the users list. They will have a "Chat Pro" banner on their profile. Their role is to engage new members, help them understand the rules / SF and answer questions, offer extra support and to use the chat "Report" function whenever they see something they think may need to be looked at by other staff, as well as letting us know if any member needs to be checked on by other staff. We are looking at the technical feasibility of them being able to temporarily “kick” members in extreme circumstances if no more senior staff members are available to assist.

Forum Pros:Will have a "Forum Pro" banner so they are identifiable on the forum. Their role is to engage/greet new members, answer posts, and use the report function if they see anything that needs to be looked at by a more staff members. They will be able to remove posts that are clear safety issues such as spam, trolling or flagrant violations of site guidelines, and to make senior staff aware of any worrying trends/patterns of rule breaking etc. on the forum.

SF Pro:As above but equally active in both chat and on the forum.

All junior staff “Pro’s” will also be invited to attend staff meetings to discuss issues, ideas, and future plans for SF, and to give feedback on policies and areas of concern directly with the site owner, administrators, and other staff members. Senior staff members are readily identifiable by the "Staff" banner that junior staff pros do not have.

The idea is that anyone who wants to be considered for a senior staff position in the future would be made a "Pro" first and would demonstrate through this role their suitability to be stepped up to senior staff with more independent discretion on how to deal with serious issues. It also means that more people are focused on supporting people and hopefully leads to more people being helped.

If members are not able to perform the role of staff in providing support and a safe environment for whatever reason they will be stepped down (to member for junior staff , and Staff Alumni for senior staff). This is available also at the request of the member to simply take a break when needed, or if life style changes make active participation not possible anymore. This is not a punishment or demotion in any way, it simply recognizes the need for all staff roles to be filled by active and engaging members that possess the time to fulfill the function while still maintaining a healthy balance of time for themselves. All who take the time to volunteer for roles of greater involvement should be appreciated for that willingness and that is not in any way tempered by the reality that time is a precious commodity and availability changes as a natural occurrence when other factors change in our lives.

The site is moving forward with a model where positions of greater responsibility are held by the members that are currently the most active in providing support and maintaining a safe environment for all members, balanced by the demonstrated long term commitment to this site. The ability to provide support and the good judgement used in dealing with situations will be monitored by current activity level in performing those functions and the display of compassionate judgment in dealing with situations that violate the rules of the site. The junior staff role of “Pro” will be the only way moving forward to be selected for a senior staff position, and that selection will be based on demonstrated abilities in the Pro role.

Any interested in becoming a junior staff Pro should inquire by sending a LTA to let us know. Selection criteria includes adequate time as member to demonstrate supportive attitude and willingness to support other members, and must be in good standing, not currently with limited privileges, in addition to being selected as a good candidate by Administrators and/or recomended Senior Staff members.
  2. Cicada 3301

Cicada 3301 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

This is a truly amazing way to bring the community closer together and show appreciation for members who put in the time to make SF the supportive and safe place it is. :cool:
    chiaroscura, Brian777, Moat and 2 others like this.
  3. Moat

Moat Banned Member

Indeed, I ditto Cica-Bob's comment - with how things are now, even with all the staff on the site, they cannot all possibly be in the forums or the chat every time, so I think it is gruse (great) you are considering more people to help full some of the roles. And as Cica-Bob said, an appreciation for member s who put aside their own life to log in on SF just to try and help others are amazing people and, even if sometimes, their efforts go unappreciated by a lot of members, it is wonderful that said members are getting recognition for their all their hard and tireless hard at helping to keep SF a friendly and well maintained Community.
  4. Fluffypingu

Fluffypingu Safety and Support Chat Pro SF Supporter

i think its amazing and a good idea
    chiaroscura, Brian777 and Moat like this.
  5. Moat

Moat Banned Member

With more people willing to help out through taking time out of their own busy schedules, SF is really starting to become more than a Community, but a Family now.
    chiaroscura, Brian777 and Rambler like this.
  6. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Cool idea. I like it.
    Brian777 likes this.
  7. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

I'm so appreciative of this forum and its staff and members. Truly a safe haven for those who hurt and need a place to come to for support.
  8. MoAnamCara

MoAnamCara SF Artist

Thanks to you all.
    texaskitty, NYJmpMaster and Freya like this.
  9. Tmacster1

Tmacster1 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good idea and I would support it.
  10. chiaroscura

chiaroscura BestTimePlantTree?100 YearsAgo. NextBestTime?Now. SF Supporter

love the use of the word "family" there. :)
  11. chiaroscura

I know that I am far too new to qualify for anything yet, but I was a professional writer and could one day write articles, using citations and information from reliable sources on topics that might be of uplifting or encouraging or informative interest to the group. I can write any length. There would be no grammatical mistakes, I am pretty sure--and I am careful to follow rules. In that vein, I could also write brief content on social media. I am also a pretty good meme maker, and at my meme making group, I have a very high rate of my memes being published, so wow, it's horrible to sound like I'm bragging, but I have to tell you a few good strengths so you'll know I can do these things. But it would be "one day" when you know me better. Right now, I'm still learning how to navigate around. *loves*
  12. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Chiaroscura, so glad to hear of your writing skills. We are always looking for new articles here. While you are learning to navigate around, why don't you come up with a few ideas and when you feel ready, share with us what they are. WELCOME TO SF!
    chiaroscura and Freya like this.
  13. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

Thank you so much - that would be wonderful. And telling people what you are good at is not bragging - everyone is good at different things and knowing what you are good at is an excellent strength. We would love to have your articles published here whenever you feel ready to write one :)
    chiaroscura likes this.
  14. chiaroscura

Ben wrote to me the sweetest and most encouraging note, welcoming me to write, even though I'm new. Of course, anything at all that I write would be run by everyone to make sure it is okay. But now I will tell you my credentials, and this WILL sound like bragging, but as sweet Freya said, I think you all trust me enough to know that I am giving these credentials so that YOU will know my strengths and offerings that I can contribute. So first, I was a syndicated columnist for the New York Times Syndicate (not the same as the NYTimes, as its the syndication office) and my articles went to 300 newspapers around the world--even Saudi Arabia (whoa!). The Times tries to get papers to "buy me" on a weekly basis and pay them for my writing, then they pay me. I was so successful and so many papers bought me, that I was the first person EVER to be given a yearly contract for my writing--NOT counting their superstars, of course, and famous people like Bill Clinton, etc. I had my own editor named Tim and he really loved my work. I wrote stories from life, with either a humorous or sentimental twist depending on the topic. I was perpetually OCD-level scared they wouldn't like something i did, but they always did. NEXT, I was an attorney in Wisconsin (no longer live there) who left an AV rated firm (highest rating) to found and run the FIRST ever in that state (CEO and Director) 501 (c)(3) nonprofit that helped only very poor people, especially women and children. It went state-wide and I was on TV for it, and the Supreme Court met with me for how well I invented it etc, and I did that for 13 years. I couldv'e been rich at the AV-rated firm, doing insurance law, but I felt too sorry for the poor people who had NO ONE. I was often published in law magazines, and ONE of my articles was cited in a Wisc Supreme court case and the Justices CHANGED THE LAW after they saw my argument. I am so proud of that, because it meant the court would provide lawyers for parents having their children taken away. They'd never done that before. THEN I was simultaneously a mediator for the court system, mediating child custody disputes and I had a talent for calming the parents down and reaching agreement without a trial. I had a 96% settlement rate, which is kind of a big deal to the courts, and the highest rate of any mediator, so I'm really tactful with upset people. That's a talent. Finally, I was an English teacher and writing tutor for the University of Wisconsin, so I had to memorize all grammar rules (ugh!) but I still know them, even tho I don't use them except for official articles. So these are the writing gifts I want to share here, and I wanted you to know that I'm not going write gibberish. Oh also I am a member of the American Academy of Science, as a science researcher, and my #1 topic of research is mental health, because I don't have a lot of mental health myself. LOL But I don't. I have everything from suicidal yearnings, to severe depression, to bipolar, to dissociation, to PTSD and one psychiatrist who was crazier that I was told me I had multiple personalities because I had achieved so many things. She tried to talk to these other personalities, but it was a wrong diagnosis. But I have been within minutes of taking my own life, and have fought back. This forum saved my life once. Two women here. Literally save it. I will never ever commit suicide. So my experiences with the darkest parts of emotional life, also, I think, qualify me to speak here. I will always cite my sources and will usually read long scientific peer-reviewed Abstracts and research, then summarize it for all of us here, into a short piece of new information. The Science Academy keeps me up to date on all the newest research on helping mental illness, which I have, but control kind of. LOL There. Sorry it's so long and so sickeningly braggy, but how else could I tell you what I can offer you? Love and deep commitment to all of you, Chia (Beth).
    Redledot, CodeX and bobbob like this.