Bdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shogun

Does anyone here suffer from or have heard of Body Dismorphic Disorder (BDD)? I think I suffer from it and it seems like not many people have even heard of it.

S

SteakAndChips

I have heard of it hun...... :hug: Have you been diagnosed?....

Thinking of you

Sarah
x

Shogun

Hi

No, not diagnosed, but I certainly have all the symptoms (Checking my reflection over a hundred times a day, and focussing on my bad points). I had a phsychiatrist once that didn't believe in the illness so he didn't diagnose me as having it. Why isn't it more well known about?

Thanx

S

SteakAndChips

I don't think I agree that 99.999% of people have it. Many people have issues about their looks/body - but that is very different from having BDD....

Hun it is worth probably seeing another doctor. See your GP if you can and arrange a 2nd opinion. You are certainly entitled to ask for that on the NHS and shuold be given an appointment..... I think its probably not as well known about because other things are more common..... Sorry you think you may have it :hug:

Love

Sarah

S

SteakAndChips

Errr.... sorry - didn't realise I had written anything offensive.....

Hope you are ok!

Love

Sarah

Shogun

Thanx Sarah I appreciate it :smile: I think you're right that most people have small image problems, but BDD is a lot different, like I say it seriously dominates my life. I think I've had it a long time now. I'm gonna try to get help.

Love

Adam

nabzif

Saj said:
Errr.... sorry - didn't realise I had written anything offensive.....

Hope you are ok!

Love

Sarah
To quote the immoral words of Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along"?

Anyway, I agree with Nightmares most of us have something we all wanna change about our physical appearance. Blah! Like I hate my eyebrows. Yuck!

S

SteakAndChips

Nabzif - That's what I said in my post - that most people have body/looks issues! I think that is the case - but that is v different from BDD...

BABALU - I am glad that you are going to try and get hlep with it :) If it really affects your life it is worth doing :)

Love

Sarah
xxx

tinuviel

nabzif said:
To quote the immoral words of Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along"?

Anyway, I agree with Nightmares most of us have something we all wanna change about our physical appearance. Blah! Like I hate my eyebrows. Yuck!

I'm sorry but I would have to say that quote was not realy necesary given that no one even argued here... I hope Calisse didn't get offended, moreover I know she is smart enough to realise pople sometimes make mestakes while expresing themselves....

And Babalu I realy hope you can find a good therapist to get you through this but you have to be willing to cooperete hun...

Love, Tiny

tinuviel said:
I'm sorry but I would have to say that quote was not realy necesary given that no one even argued here... I hope Calisse didn't get offended, moreover I know she is smart enough to realise pople sometimes make mestakes while expresing themselves....

Agreed. No-one argued at all. *Agrees with Tiny's post*

Richpit10

Hi Adam, yeah i have BDD but am pleased to say im getting to a point where im hopefully getting on top of it.
Dont want to start up the 'argument' again, but BDD is not the same as having issues with the way you look, or problems with certain parts of your body. BDD is so severe that it takes over your entire life and consumes your thoughts. every little thing in your life will be affected and dependant upon your perception of the way you look. You will have severe anxiety and distress which will impair your ability to function socially, occupationally and all other areas of life. In short it swallows you whole.
If you ever wanna chat Adam pm me and ill endevour to help if i can.

Rich

allofme

Staff Alumni
that was a very good discription Rich.... It all boils down to
HOW DOES IT EFFECT YOUR LIFE.... we all have minamil amounts of many disorders... from OCD to ADD to Depression...

before we can be diagnosed the symptoms of most mental illnesses have to meet the criteron that it hinders our ability to function.. enjoy and particapate in life....

many of us can be overly preocupied with things in our life but untill it begins to interfere with living our life .... it is not a disorder....

If you indeed have BDD the sooner you enter therapy the better... It is notning that will go away on its own.....

good luck .. and thank you to everyone who cared enough to reply ... all input is appreciated because it is given with concern and caring

Thanx Sarah I appreciate it :smile: I think you're right that most people have small image problems, but BDD is a lot different, like I say it seriously dominates my life. I think I've had it a long time now. I'm gonna try to get help.

Love

Adam
Definatly. Totally agree with you and Rich
I hate it when people say things like "you know we all go through what you are you know, yours is just a little bit worse." To be honest just about everyone has something they dont like about themselves but its where you draw the line and at what point do you actually think something is wrong.But then i do realise that you'l never really understand it unless you've gone through it.
Its a terrible illness and its caused so many other things, for me anyway, such as agrophobia, depression ect. I hope you guys all make a full recovery! None of you deserve this at all x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00