Bipolar and going to college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amberrr

So, I'm staring college in 2 weeks, and the college I'm going to is about 3 hours away. I'm worried about having an episode and not knowing what to do.
I'm starting to think that it's too far away from where I live, but there's no turning back now.

I don't really know what to do. I'm scared I won't do well because I'll be to overwhelmed by everything and have to drop out.
Has anyone else been in this kind of situation? Honestly, I don't think I can do it.

I know what you mean, I went through the same thing. I actually dropped out because I suffer lots of depression and apathy started to overcome. My regret of college is not being social enough and make friends. Those connections you make in college will count in your future. I am sad I didn't invest that too much and only focused in my studies.

VALIS

How does your illness manifest? Like what typically happens when you have an episode- fights? drinking? irresponsibility? or not getting out of bed. I went away to college and had to leave because I freaked out and ran away, dropping out of a really great university. I came back awhile later but stayed at home while I finished my degre... I really liked that support being there so if I coulnd't get out of bed one day someone knew why that was, and if I was running around playing music another day they would understand that too. Important to not have to worry so much about your invironment when your head is giving you lots of trouble.

If I were you, I'd go, probably.... college is fun and you can't live your whole life controlled by your illness. But academics are the most important part of school and I would make sure I could go home or get my assignments through the student disability office if I had to leave school for a bit. If you are sure you're going to that school, make appointments with their psychiatrists and psychologists, both of them. Also, there are probably bipolar student support groups, but at least register with the student disability office- there's not much stigma and they can help you in lots of ways to make it to class and take your tests in emergencies.

Sais

I'm in my last year of college and I resisted because I did not go to courses, I worked from home and I went to exams, teachers hate me, clases gave me claustrophobia panic atacks and social phobia intensified, as if it wasn't enough. And I'm scared of the year to come. It's the hardest, and it will be triple hard for me. Now I'll really need to actually ..be there. So... Maybe you should go, and adapt to what comes next, step by step. It's amazing how many solutions can be found when we are actually in the situation to continue, more or less mormaly for one state, what we started.
(... I still am not sure I am not gonna run in the last moment...)
good luck with your choice! :)

Hi Amberrr,

Ya, going to college while fighting Bipolar disorder can be hard at best and a disaster at worst.

I tried several times before I made it but I had friends who had to drop out permanently.

In general I'd say be as social as you can and don't get behind on your course work. Don't take on too much. Get a tutor if you need to. If you tend not to go to the class itself but just show up for tests, tell your instructor WHY your not going to class... with any luck, they will understand.

If your in a full onset, take a leave of absence. It's futile going to school while going through a BP onset (hypomania not included).

Celebrate if you make it but don't beat yourself up if you don't. Your brain changes and what may have seemed easy in the past may be very difficult while dealing with BP.

-ew

Speedy

Staff Alumni
Amberr, good luck. :)

My first official (not community college dual-enrollment) college classes start on Wednesday, so I'll be in the same boat. If you want to talk about it, I'd love to. I've felt overwhelmed by classes before, like the posters above (one example - transitioned after one month of my junior year in high school to homeschool as I was getting little work done and failing all of my classes...).

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
Hi, Amber. I'm sure from your post that you're very bright and ready to start college. It's also very usual for almost EVERY new student to feel what you're feeling. You have the extra bit of bipolar to deal with, so just get the safety net in place shortly after you get there - "just in case". Get a referral from your current shrink to one in the college town, or let student health services at the college know you have bipolar and might need really quick response if you begin an episode. I think you'll do fine and will have a good year! :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00