bipolar and memory

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by emily83, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

hi.

i wanted to do this as a poll- but not sure how to do it yet.. so i'll post it like this

who here with bipolar disorder has problems with their memory?. more problems than before

for me- i totally do. before i was diagnosed, i could remember numbers, tv skedules, everything.. i was like a dictionary- people would ask me.. hey, what's that person's number, or hey emily, when is that tv show on.. and i could always tell them- i didon't need any help from a tv guide or anything

now though, i'm lucky if i remember what happens in an eppisode of my fave soap opera- and i'm totally diffrent, i don't remember anything

so what about anyone else with bipolar- is your memory worse, better, or the same?

btw- if someone could show me how to do a poll.. that would be fab!

2. foxontherun

foxontherun Member

In general memory is OK but have 'periods' where I forget incredibly basic things.

Ie: One time I was ordering a Vietnamese roll, and after the person had made it I said "can I please have a wholemeal bun", completely forgetting I had already made the order. Needless to say the lady was confused, and I was rather embarrassed.

Insomnia and episodic mania doesn't help.

But as I said in general memory is OK.

3. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

thanks for sharing that

i think with me, the most embarrasing thing i probably do is sometimes forget if i've eaten dinner or not... and so sometimes, i end up having 2 dinners a night.. even though my family are like, um, you just ate dinner an hour ago- but i can't remember so they just make it again to shut me up

and it goes the other way.. sometimes i don't eat dinner at all because i believe i all ready ate it

4. skinnylove911

skinnylove911 Well-Known Member

I have depression (docs not sure on bipolar) but generally i due forget things quite alot like i could remember what someone wore at meeeting, what happened i can remember who sat where what i as doing. Basically i have photographic memory yet at the moment i struggle with who has what milk and wo takes sugar. I struggle with focusing on tasks my mind is all over the place and it really confuses the hell of me. On top of depression i have dyspraxia. So at the end of the day everything feels like a mush., nothing feels consistent.

5. svm299

svm299 Member

I'm not positive if I'm actually bipolar or not. I've been told several different things and that is one. I have noticed that when I'm in my lows my memory is all over the place. When I am manic I can remember everything. It is very back and forth. I think I am so involved in my thoughts that my brain does not retain information near as well as when I'm not obsessing over my depressed thoughts.

6. catecholamine

catecholamine Well-Known Member

When manic, my memory is horrid because my thoughts are racing so fast, I can't grasp memories.
    I memory is worse now too because I had Electroconvulsive Therapy - shock treatments - and it really messed my memory up. It sucks.

7. lifeless84

lifeless84 Well-Known Member

Not sure i am bipolar, but i do have problems with my memory. English is not my native language, a while back, I decided to improve it, learn more. Bought a book, went through first two pages, noted all new words and for next six days I was trying to memorize them. Twice everyday, I was repeating them, making sentences with them, playing with those words, totally for 30 to 40 minutes per day. The 7th day tried to recall the words from my memory, and I managed to only 2 words out of 16!!! After whole week of learning them. That's when I gave up. But what worries me even more, I keep forgetting words in my native language, e.g. while trying to express myself, I tend to pause for few seconds, because I forget a word, usually simple one :/
    Those memory problems cause inability to learn, leaving me in a place I am now, not knowing how to move forward, how to get out of this hole of hell...

8. myjade84

myjade84 Member

I was just diagnosed with Bipolar 5 years ago but i had the symptoms since i was a kid. And my memory was really great, from 7-18. After that, it decreased. I think it has to do with BP and age.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.