Bipolar Disorder or Borderline Personality Disorder?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Mama_Pills, May 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mama_Pills

Mama_Pills Well-Known Member

I know you guys aren't doctors, but I currently have no insurance and no doctors and no medication and I was hoping for a little help/insight.

I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder a few years ago.

I have a very hard time making and keeping friends, due to my intense fear of rejection/abandonment. Most of the time it's because I lash out at them when I'm feeling insecure, or for little to no reason. I hate that I do this, but I hate even more that I'm aware I'm doing it but I can't stop. I start to shake and I cry and I want to scream (occasionally I have, in a public place, in the car, at school, etc). I know it's going to sound selfish and disgusting, but it's almost like I want them to feel how they made me feel, or like I want them to feel guilty. I will never apologize to them because in my mind I'm right for feeling this way. I hate myself for this. I have never admitted it and I hate myself for it. It doesn't make any sense to me and I just want to be normal.

I've read about Bipolar Disorder patients having these "psychotic episodes", but I'm wondering if Borderline Personality Disorder has ever been misdiagnosed as Bipolar Disorder.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I think a professional has the tools that show the difference of the two so if you go to a pdoc they will be able to diagnose one correctly and not mix up the two
  3. Sunny25

Sunny25 New Member

Hi lalamanfr0, I don't know too much about bipolar disorder but I researched a lot on bpd because I was in a relationship with someone with bpd. It sounds very much like it could be it but since you didn't give too much information, I am just speculating. I think you should do a lot of research if you haven't already.. There are lots of educational videos that help a lot. There are also 9 diagnostic criteria, I believe you need 5 to have a diagnosis. Wishing you the best of luck. Please try to see any doctor you can when possible. You can't put a price on health.
  4. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

People with borderline are very often misdiagnosed as bipolar (and vice versa). Bipolar is marked by depressive episodes and hypo/manic episodes. The latter involves increased amounts of energy, feelings of euphoria, grandiosity, and poor decisions. Many people with borderline get told they're bipolar. The worst part is, doctors acknowledge this is being done and do it for the $$$. (Easier to prescribe meds, can prescribe more meds, etc)

Your post here sounds very... similar to borderline personality disorder. I don't blame you if you are questioning your diagnosis. I would encourage you to get a second opinion. Bipolar disorder is very over diagnosed. People know this, but the professionals keep doing it. As long as there is money in the diagnosis (and there is), they will.
  5. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

Damn, I really wish I'd seen your post sooner.

I know pretty much all there is to know about Borderline Personality Disorder. I have it myself, and I've researched and studied it backward and forward for the past 5-6 years now. As other people have said, yes, it is extremely common for BPD to be misdiagnosed as Bipolar. Bipolar is a lot more common than BPD, so that's the first thing psychiatrists are going to speculate. Research Bipolar Disorder and if you feel you definitely don't have some of the more obvious symptoms of it, such as intense periods of depression with intense periods of happiness and empowerment, then you probably don't have it. For instance, I do have intense periods of depression, but I've never had the opposite of that. So, because of that my psychiatrist ruled out Bipolar, but it took me explaining my Borderline symptoms to him for him to diagnose me with BPD. What you describe with your friends definitely sounds like a symptom of Borderline Personality, but that's only one symptom. Like someone else said, you need to have at least 5 or more in order to be diagnosed. All the symptoms are as follows (in no particular order):

1. Impulsivity/acting irrationally without thinking of the consequences/making serious or permanent decisions based on how you feel at one particular moment even though those feelings will go away. This results in things like substance abuse, frequent unprotected sex with random partners, or other reckless behaviors.
    2. Always wanting some sort of immediate gratification or reward. For instance, getting high to get rid of an intense emotion, instead of trying to do something to take your mind off of it, or taking the time to get help for it.
    3. You don't take criticism of any kind very well/you feel things much more intensely than others would/little things offend and upset you a lot more than they would other people/it may take you longer to get over an intense emotional experience than it would someone else
    4. Fear of abandonment is a really big one (which you mentioned in your post), as well as rejection and failure.
    5. Self harming behaviors and suicidal thoughts, ideas, or actions.
    6. A borderline's interpersonal relationships, especially romantic relationships, are very chaotic because they tend to get into a lot of conflicts with the person due to either what they feel or how they're acting. Exhibiting manipulative behaviors in order to get something their way is common.
    7. A lot of people with BPD tend to have difficulty figuring out their identity, particularly what they value or want, their goals, and what they enjoy. So if they're constantly changing careers, or romantic partners, or their major in college, or what they look like, or their hobbies, etc.
    8. Intense feelings of emptiness, or a feeling of missing something in their life can result from number 8.
    9. Dissociation and/or severe paranoia/paranoid delusions.

That's basically the gist of it, but there are also sub-types of BPD. Each one of those focuses on only several specific symptoms rather than the entire list with the addition of a few more symptoms within that symptom/category, so to speak. The impulsive borderline, for instance, is one of those. That specific sub-type focuses mostly on, obviously, symptoms involving impulsivity. And also it's technically possible to be diagnosed with more than one personality disorder. For instance, I was diagnosed with both Borderline and Avoidant Personalities because I have enough symptoms of both - and it's just listed on my chart as Mixed Personality Disorder. So, I mean, it's a lot to think about and it's a very complex diagnosis. I don't recommend that you try to just diagnose yourself and call it a day, but I do recommend that you look into it and think about whether or not a lot of it fits you, and if you think it does I would explain to the psychiatrist what symptoms exactly you think you have and why.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.