Bipolar episodes when drinking?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by asking_for_it, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asking_for_it

asking_for_it Member

Hi.

Is it possible to have bipolar if most of the mania only happens when youre drinking alcohol?

Im not talking just being very drunk. But wild and manic and people comment on it and doing crazy things.

would this happen? im depressed more than manic any other times.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

alcohol brings on many mental disorders so i don't see why it could not bring on bipolar episodes as well

3. spidy

spidy Well-Known Member

Ive been watching my drinking just lately as same thing happens and i go few days bouncing off the walls spending money i dont have etc.But when ive come down i m low as and depressed as so i try only having 1 or 2 beers now so im not so hypo.

4. asking_for_it

asking_for_it Member

im starting to realize i need to stop drinking. it has become a real problem now. people are beginning to be afraid of me when i drink, i am uncontrollable. the thing is, i have such bad anxiety that if i dont drink i cant go on a night out, and i can never stop at one or two. :(

..and yeah, the after-effects last days...weeks..

5. spidy

spidy Well-Known Member

Is what was using alcohol for my anxiety when im sober i find the darkest corner to stand in.i m still guilty just like you 1 or 2 just a tease but yes i have same effects as you drinking has always been my coping mechanism but now i stick to once a fortnight as i love a drink but depending on my mood i can go over board especoially if im hypo before i start then things get interesting but the down fall afterwards is more dangerous for me as i tend to get very depressed and suicidal.Ive been drinking for many years now i now go to a drug and alcohol councillor but here the silly thing i only want to be able to control it so i can drink socially just a couple can take the edge of uptightness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.