Bipolar risk children

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by aoeu, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Instinctively I don't want to pass my genes on - I would absolutely hate to bring another bipolar victim into this world. But a thought occurs to me tonight: if you knew your child was going to be bipolar, could you save them from suffering? Perhaps you could enrol them in therapy early so that they'll have depression coping mechanisms, for instance, or medication at the first sign of onset to prevent them wrecking their social/school lives... What do you think? Could you lessen the pain for them if you knew it was coming?

2. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

Well you could, but generally mental illness (which includes bipolar) only shows itself when the individual is between 18 and 25. It wouldn't prepare them, they would be too young and innocent to understand what these bad feelings are, let alone how to cope with them. I can understand that you don't want to pass on bipolar to your kid/s, but there is no guarantee they will contract it. And who knows, in 20 years bipolar could be an even easier to treat illness. Hell, it probably will be, because it is a serious illness that can severely hinder ones adult development, so they will be wanting to fix it as best as they can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.