bipolar

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by J3nny, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J3nny

J3nny Well-Known Member

my doctor diagnosed me as bipolar. sometimes i cry out of the blue every few days. my sleep is terrible.. interruptions of sleep, trouble falling asleep. i become hungrier after taking my pills...i hear voices near to me, outside the window, i have constant suicidal ideations, i think im on a manic and depressed state..my knees have excess energy that wakes me up in the morning. ive gone as far as ready to die but having no way to. ive become very quiet not wanting to interact on the intrenet and in person too. this is much to handle, too bad i cant just give up and leave

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hi hun i hope in time you and your doc will get the right medication to get you some stability Nice to meet you and hope you continue to reach out here hun hugs

3. luYhAgnuJ

luYhAgnuJ Member

sounds like a mixed state. i like the term agitated depression. it's hard to properly diagnose. they put me on depakote but it just screwed me up even more - it's amazing that i'm still alive. i'm now taking seroquel and lamictal and it seems to work.

i'm never free though, it is a constant struggle, even with meds.

4. luYhAgnuJ

luYhAgnuJ Member

just a quick correction, i equate mixed state with agitated depression. i'm not sure this is correct. i think you can be mixed without the agitation... which sounds more like what you have.

5. catecholamine

catecholamine Well-Known Member

I have Bipolar disorder as well - type 1. At least, with the way it's defined in the DSM-IV, in Bipolar Disorder, moods don't shift drastically over and over every hour/day - that sort of emotional instability is often equated more with things such as Borderline Personality Disorder. Episodes usually last weeks or months.
    Annnyway, it is tough. Mixed episodes are really bad, so I understand where you're coming from. I'm bad about those. I get really agitated usually, very angry, raging, get suicidal (moreso than usual anyway) and VERY impulsive. Of course, I also stop sleeping, begin to hallucinate, get paranoid, and all that too. It is horrible.

What meds are you on? A lot of atypical antipsychotics can make you very hungry - such are Seroquel and Zyprexa. They can make you put on a ton of weight. I've even heard from people about seroquel in particular causing sleep eating!! People would wake up in bed, surrounded by crumbs and potato chip bags and empty cabinets, lol! Usually with no memory of chowing down. I remember what it was like when I was put on Risperdal. I was first put on it in outpatient... I was laying on the floor watching TV, an hour or so after taking it...got real drowsy...then a commercial for IHOP came on and I told my friend "I WANT IHOP RIGHT NOW", so we went to IHOP and I gorged myself, lol. I stopped taking it pretty fast though because of how drowsy it made me. Flash forward 2 years and I was put on an antipsychotic injection called Invega Susstena. It is very, very similar to risperdal. I put on 30lbs in a month and I said NO MORE to the injections. Plus they hurt like crazy because they were oil-based instead of water-based like most meds and had to be injected into muscle. It was very thick and quite painful!
    If you are taking an AP that causes you to be hungry and you put on too much weight, there are a few that are more weight neutral, primarily one called Geodon. Geodon didn't make me sleepy, hungry, or anything else...but everyone is different.
    Good luck, hope you feel better soon!

6. luYhAgnuJ

luYhAgnuJ Member

ugh! i think i was right in the first place. a mixed state is also known as dysphoric mania, agitated depression, or a mixed episode.

about bipolar cycling, it's rare but there is a thing called rapid cycling. this is where the cycling period is quite short, on the order of days or even hours (rare).

it's funny but seroquel does not make me hungry. in fact, over the last few months, i've dropped 15 lbs.

7. silent_chaos

silent_chaos Well-Known Member

i gained about 10 pounds a month on seroqel, its not working for me any more, going to try new meds at my next appointment still a couple weeks away. i had to outway gaining weight or being mentally stable. im currently on seroquel, lamictol, busbar, ativan, and trazodone for sleep. good luck and be patient.

8. catecholamine

Actually, the term "rapid cycling", while it is indeed what it's called, is deceiving for those who haven't read the DSM-IV. It is defined as having had 4 or more episodes in the past 12 months that meet the criteria for a manic, hypomanic, mixed, or depressive episodes. That includes the length requirements.
    minimum length requirements:
    Depressive episode: 2 weeks
    Manic episode: 1 week (or less if hospitalization is required)
    Mixed episode: 1 week
    Hypomanic episode: 4 days

Many people have volatile moods than can change from the minute, hour, or day and they will often claim to be bipolar, but it is actually much more likely it is something else. Borderline Personality Disorder is one of the most common issues that cause unstable mood in this fashion.
    The exception to this is Bipolar Disorder in children, which is a diagnosis that's still up in the air. It was not included in the DSM-IV but my understanding it is going to make an appearance in the DSM-V.

9. luYhAgnuJ

luYhAgnuJ Member

yes, this is fine and thanx for the clarification but:

"The definition of rapid cycling most frequently cited in the literature (including the DSM) is that of Dunner and Fieve: at least four major depressive, manic, hypomanic or mixed episodes are required to have occurred during a 12-month period. Ultra-rapid (days) and ultra-ultra rapid or ultradian (within a day) cycling have also been described."

the link is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_cycling#Rapid_cycling

i was trying to point out that there can be super short cycling periods with bipolar disorder. it is rare, but it exists. so it seems the correct terms are "Ultra-rapid" (days) and "ultra-ultra rapid" or "ultradian" (within a day).

i rapid cycled for weeks before i was hospitalized and subsequently diagnosed with bipolar disorder. i don't remember much but i believe i cycled with a period of days. so technically, i guess i ultra-rapid cycled.

10. catecholamine

I am very aware of ultradian cycling, but it is not recognized as a type of bipolar yet, it falls into the NOS category. A lot of docs will not diagnose Bipolar NOS because it is very likely these mood fluctuations are not bipolar, the overlap is huge. The overlap for long-lasting episodes is very small.
    Trust me, I know all about it. I've taken every abnormal psych, neuropsych, and such class that is offered at my university. That includes child psych, which is where I studied ultradian cycles more in depth, because it's seen in young children in what some physicians call Childhood Bipolar Disorder, though that diagnosis is controversial.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.