Books About Romantic Relationships

There have been a few times when people have posted about problems with relationships, but seeing a therapist has not been an option. I usually say something like, "There's got to be some good books out there about relationships, but I don't know of any titles off hand."

I actually tried searching on SF for books about relationships that people would recommend, but I didn't find anything. Maybe there's a thread somewhere about that, so if you find one, please feel free to post a link.

I tried searching online, and here are a few books that I found that were recommended by readers, or were in "The X Best Books About Relationships" articles. I haven't read a damn one of them, so I can't really make recommendations, but this list might be better than nothing.

Toxic Relationships

Tell Me Lies, Carol Lovering

It Ends with Us, Colleen Hoover

Domestic Violence

www.hotpeachpages.net recommends a book called Dragon Slippers

General Relationship Books

Getting the Love You Want, Harville Hendrix
(This is about what you want and need in a relationship)

The Highly Sensitive Person in Love, Elain N. Aron

Difficult Conversations, Stone, Patton, and Heen
(This is about communication in general)

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, John Gray
(This was written by a marriage counselor)

Obsession and Dependency

Addiction to Love, Susan Peabody
(For relationships you can't live without)

Last edited:

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I've just bought a book called "How to heal a broken heart: from rock bottom to reinvention"
I haven't started reading it yet but it gets very good reviews.

A_J_R

You can look at Addicted to Love on Google Books and it's a little scary. It's got a section that I really related too, and I dunno. Hard to look in the mirror. I'm going to need to reframe my thoughts on a lot of my feelings for my ex, but that will require me being able to see him differently. Like, not my savior. So.. in time.

Thank you for posting this list. I've started looking at the titles. These may be very helpful.

Toxic Relationships

Tell Me Lies, Carol Lovering

It Ends with Us, Colleen Hoover
Ok, it turns out these two are actually novels. Maybe somebody would still like them, but I was aiming more for books written by people with counseling credentials to help guide people through toxic relationships.

A_J_R

Ok, it turns out these two are actually novels. Maybe somebody would still like them, but I was aiming more for books written by people with counseling credentials to help guide people through toxic relationships.
I'm looking at those too. I can order those and bring them home and my husband won't know I'm "researching" our marriage and my issues. haha So. Keep them and add more if you find any. Just call them "Novels" I guess. But they might be helpful.

MisterBGone

ReaLemon
SF Supporter
It's funny. The first time I was in the psych ward, I saw a copy of a small paperback written by some woman (don't think she was a licensed anything, professionally in this regard; or "field.") - but it was more a firsthand account of her experience through the falling apart, of her marriage (I think, it's been some years). . . It was titled, "After The Affair." And it wasn't this great insightful read or anything in terms of finding or providing some wonderful elixir that will solve all of your ill's & such... when faced with a serious, or significant sign of trouble. But the Husband had committed an Affair, as I recall or gather - & so once she got through going through all of that, in the book (it was pretty thin/skinny). . . I believe she'd concluded, that "Yes!" You can heal & repair your Marriage, or relationship after the fact~ So? I can't remember if I was feeling kind of let down, or disappointed --or somehow misled maybe? But I do remember being somewhat, 'surprised!' (by what she had written). Now keep in mind, it's primary function, or use - was almost that of / or like a "tool," in the sense that it gave me a device, to use when I walked out into the commons area and everybody was doing whatever it is that they do when out of their rooms, socializing, maybe? I guess... but since it was my first time in there -& I did not know what to expect- it kind of reminded me of Steven Spielberg, once recalling a tale of early on in his film making / or directing career, that he'd sort of cling onto... or clutch at-- I don't even know or remember what it's called, but it's like a little view finder thing, that they carry around their neck, with a necklace type of apparatus going around it - so that they can freely walk around the set, and pop that thing up their eye & I think maybe see if the angle of lens is correct, or perhaps just to get the right/proper perspective (with the frame) of the "shot!" I really don't know anymore, if I ever even did before. Nor do I know if they even still use those exact same things, likely not, or if so - they'd be much advanced by technology. But his thing, or point was, (if I am recalling this correctly--& there's certainly no guarantees there!) . . . He'd hold on to that thing like / or as if it were a "Life Raft," of sorts. Or a protective layer of Armor - so, as long as I'm or He's got that thing grasped, or within his reach/clutches, he felt, or feels "Safe." :) Adn so too, did I - upon my ... what do you want or wish to call it? Matriculation - into the behavioral health inpatient unit. (Or "nut-hut!" as one psychologist later would call or refer to it as..;))

Last edited:

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00